Is this obstruction on SS?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Comp,

As I watched the video I thought the SS was making a play on the ball. It just didn't get to her. I've got a feeling that I'm wrong though.

I have two other scenarios for you.

1) What if the SS was running to cover the bag for the force? Who has rights then?

2) What if the SS had been standing in the base line between the runner and 3rd base, and the Pitcher was throwing the ball to her to get a tag on the girl advancing? Who has rights to the line then?

Thanks in advance for clarifications.

Actually in both of those scenarios she is not fielding the ball so she has zero rights to the base path. In the video she was fielding the ball it's just that the P got there first. I completely understand the only one player can be protected rule happens all the time with the 3B cutting of the SS usually the 3B is given protection and the SS is not since the 3B is in front; my only confusion I thought the rule was written so that the P did not count as one of those two fielders trying for the same ball since she obviously can't OBS anyone from the circle and the ball gets to her really quickly.

Jun 22, 2008
You are intermixing rules that dont apply to the situation. The ball was fielded by the pitcher. No other fielder has any rights to be in the runners way once the ball was fielded. No they do not have to be given the time to get out of the way. No the short stop does not have the rights to impede the runner if the ball was being thrown to them for a tag play, no 3rd base does not have the right to block the base and impede the runner if a throw is coming to them on a force play.

Again, a fielder not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding a batted ball cannot impede the runner. The pitcher fielded the ball, the SS no longer has any rights to the ball.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, if the ball had gone past the pitcher it looks like the SS would have had a play on the ball and the call should then have been interference.

If the pitcher touched the ball and deflected it, now you are going to have differences in rule sets. NFHS considers a ball deflected by the pitcher to still be an initial play by any other infielder who has an opportunity to make a play. So in NFHS the SS would still have a right to the ball. In ASA, once the ball is deflected by the pitcher, the runner must do something intentional to interfere. ASA recognizes the runner has no way of knowing which direction the ball may go when deflected and cannot instantly change direction to avoid a fielder who may suddenly have a ply on a ball. In ASA it would just be 2 players who ran into each other, neither obstruction or interference.

Feb 3, 2011
As viewed, play on, R1 out on a fielder's choice.

If, however, P had thrown to 1B to retire the B-R and then 1B had thrown to 3B to make play on R1 - who had been impeded by the SS - then R1 is awarded(?) 3B on the OBS call.

But that would just make too much sense, I suppose.

Jun 11, 2013
Comp,

What is the outcome of this play? Would you still allow the force as it was still the likely outcome or would you load the bases up.

Jun 22, 2008
If you call obstruction you have no choice. An obstructed runner cannot be put out between the 2 bases where obstruction occurred.

Sep 29, 2014
Comp,

What is the outcome of this play? Would you still allow the force as it was still the likely outcome or would you load the bases up.

This is the other issue where applying common sense bites you in the butt...again which is why I might say something but not make a big deal about it the outcome of this play with or without the OBS is an out at first.
Now if the P throws to 1B for the force then 1B throws back to 3B and tags the runner the outcome of the play would be different but again I'm still finding it hard to complain much because the only reason she is in the base path is because she is doing the right softball play which is going hard for a ball up the middle to make an attempt to field the ball.
[MENTION=426]Comp[/MENTION] still not sure about the clarification on what the intent behind the "except the pitcher" phase in the rule if not for this scenario

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
...if the ball goes under the pitchers glove would you have called OBS...I hope not you might actually call INT...

Yes. If something completely different than what happened on this play happened, then you just very well might have a completely different call.

Isn't the P kind of excluded?.

No. You're mixing up the rule about a batted ball hitting a runner before passing an infielder. That rule excludes the pitcher from being considered as one of the "infielders".

The rule about obstruction and a fielder fielding the ball does NOT exclude the pitcher. On this play, F1 is considered to be an infielder just like any other infielder.

I had this very play in one of my game a couple of years ago. I called obstruction. The defensive coach argued hard for an interference call. He didn't get it! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut