Is this bad sportsmanship on my part?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 16, 2012
My DD started pitching rec ball last yr. But, to be honest neither one of us knew what we where doing as far a proper pitching technique. She pretty much had to pitch because our team was very, very "young". She now has a fabulous pitching coach that worked with her in the gym for the past 8 months. She took to his instruction right away. She is miles better than she was last yr. totally different girl on the mound and she now also pitches TB along with rec league still.

So, As the head coach of the U10 rec team, I naturally run out the best players on the field for our first game. Long story short she no hit the opposing team with 18k's and only 3 walks. we ended up winning 14-0. After the game the opposing coach insinuated that I should have taken her out after we got a big lead as a sportsmanship gesture. The opposing parents did more than insinuate that is what I should have done... They were flat out P.O'd about it.

I told him I would have taken her out if she was not throwing a no hitter. Should I have pulled her as a "sportsmanship" gesture? After listening to these parents complain I then told the opposing HC that we play again later in the season and he will see her again and I will play it the exact same way if the situation is the same.. He then said I was a terrible example of sportsmanship.. ( personally I think he should take that experience of being no hit to motivate his girls to swing the bat better)

Apr 13, 2013
We have lost worse then 14-0. :)

I am not sure about the bad sportsmanship part but I would have put another pitcher in. If you got in trouble you can always bring her back in. I am not sure what a no hitter or 18K means in Rec. ball. My DD plays rec.

If I was on the receiving end I certainly would not have complained instead I would of asked you who your DD’s PC was.

Last edited:
Well if she is playing 10U rec I would not worry about no hitters, I would worry about who is going to pitch if your DD gets hurt or can't make it for some reason.

My answer is it depends if your rec league has a run limit and time limit this is what I would suggest....our is 5 runs any time there is say 10 or 15 minutes or so to go any we are the home team up by more than 6 runs, I let one of my "other" pitchers pitch, the most runs they can get would be 5 and that would take at least 10 minutes or more assuming a few walks and hits and getting 7 or 8 girls to the plate, which means either game would be over or less than 5 minutes left and we are up to bat, we have obviously been hitting them or walking a lot since we were up more than 6 runs so we should be able to run out the time.

Feb 3, 2011
As presented, this is not a question of good or bad sportsmanship. After reading your statement, I don't think you're a poor sport. However, I also don't think you're a very good 10u rec coach.

In rec, and especially 10u rec, player development trumps inflating player stats against clearly inferior competition. With a 10-0 lead in a rec game, there's really no reason not to give the less developed pitchers a few batters to work with.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I think I would have said something like "I heard the association was planning to start a 10u Tball league. Maybe your team wouldnt get struck out so much. I think you can still get run ruled in that lague too so, I dont know what to tell ya."

If you take the field and play any less than the best you can play, it is an insult to the other team AND to the sport.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Im with momo. Rec is about the betterment of ALL the girls opposing team included. ,to improve skills and hopefully passion for the game. Not to dominate a bunch of beginners. I have 7 girls on my rec team that have NEVER played. Dont suck the fun out of it for either team

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ktm: Let me guess, you are the kind of guy who would run up the score at a family softball outing.

Long story short she no hit the opposing team with 18k's

And, what was proven? That your DD can strike out a bunch of clueless kids? Ridiculous...no doubt you also keep detailed stats and calculate WHIP.

Tell you what, why don't you put her on a travel team and play an A level 10U team. Then, describe how she did.

Should I have pulled her as a "sportsmanship" gesture?

Yes.

After listening to these parents complain I then told the opposing HC that we play again later in the season and he will see her again and I will play it the exact same way if the situation is the same..

In which case you will be a bigger horse's behind than you are now.

He then said I was a terrible example of sportsmanship.. ( personally I think he should take that experience of being no hit to motivate his girls to swing the bat better)

He is right. Girls on rec ball, by and large, don't desire to play softball better. (Another shocker for you: No one outside a bunch of nuts give $.02 about this game.)

Get a clue: The community you live in does not pay umpires and take care of the fields so you can embarrass a bunch of 10YOA girls.

If you want to play real competition and "play for blood" (and God knows I have), find a travel team and have at it.

I think I would have said something like "I heard the association was planning to start a 10u Tball league. Maybe your team wouldnt get struck out so much. I think you can still get run ruled in that lague too so, I dont know what to tell ya."

Hal, that is disgusting. I can't believe that anyone who has been around softball as much as you would post something that stupid. You honestly would go out to a field with a bunch of little 10YOA girls and make sure half of them were miserable?

I hate to pull the age card on you, Hal, but rec ball in 2013 ain't what rec ball was in 1960. There are tons of travel ball teams where competitive kids and parents can play. The kids left in rec ball (outside of California) just want to have some fun, play a little softball, and eat ice cream....and there is *NOTHING* wrong with that. In many ways, it beats the snot of hanging out at some dog run in southeastern Oklahoma for a whole weekend. (Nothing like trying to find something to do in Salina, Kansas at 6 pm on a Saturday night...)

Rec softball is a *COMMUNITY* activity. It is for all the girls (both teams) to get together, play a little softball and have some fun. If someone wants to play serious softball, they can find a travel ball team and go to town.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2012
, I also don't think you're a very good 10u rec coach.In rec, and especially 10u rec, player development trumps inflating player stats against clearly inferior competition. With a 10-0 lead in a rec game, there's really no reason not to give the less developed pitchers a few batters to work with.

That is a pretty bold statement and conclusion for knowing absolutely nothing about me or the team I coach or the circumstances of that particular game. Maybe I should have gave a bit more info.
I have two ( count em') 2 girls that can come anywhere near the plate pitching, my daughter and another girl who was NOT at the game. My team is also very young still, meaning I have only a few girls that can even catch the ball that came up from U8 last year. The only other conceivable pitcher I had was my catcher who pitched 2 inning last year and didn't do well and did not like the experience at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207