is there such a thing as trying to hard to get a hit ?????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
My daughter is kinda hott and cold .. one weekend she is like a hitting machine going 3 for 4 or 2 for 3
And the next go 1-7 .. seems like she does better against stronger teams than less competative ..
She is a 16 u player ...

Any comments please .....
JWP

May 1, 2011
ABSOLUTELY. It's called pressing. You want girls to have a relaxed, yet agressive approach at the plate. Trying to hard also comes from outside expectations. If she feels that SHE HAS TO GET A HIT, she's already inside her own head and he chances of making contact have gone WAY DOWN!!!!!

Josh

Aug 8, 2010
Most times when pressure goes up, mechanics go down. Girls feeling that they HAVE to get a hit will resort to flicking or slapping at the ball just through hand/eye coordination effort. Ratchet up on pre-pitch drills like getting set in the box, load, trigger etc. These can have a calming effect and help lessen tension and pressure caused breakdowns.

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the comments guys. I am going to work on tension and pressure. the question i would have is what would be the best way to either teach that or explain it ??? Should I at batting practice create a hitting situation or specific hitting count etc????

Thanks
JWP

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is a little bit younger than yours but set a reasonable goal she can accomplish during practice. If she reaches that goal you run a lap, if she doesn’t she runs a lap. Be fair in the goal and she will put pressure on herself wanting to see you run.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL
Focus on the routine of hitting, not the results. Have her use a defined routine when taking an at bat and do that every time. As a coach, don't focus on hits, but rather quality at bats, the hits will come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish