Is it too late?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2013
This is what I see everywhere being coached

[video=youtube_share;bGdp48496Ys]http://youtu.be/bGdp48496Ys[/video]

Jun 22, 2013
But I think this is a better style
[video=youtube_share;k5X86nD_WS4]http://youtu.be/k5X86nD_WS4[/video]

Where do you learn this?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
That is lovingly referred to as the HE, or 'Hello Elbow. Flush that idea, very stressful to the elbow, a waist of energy.

I like the 2nd one better too. Except, the elbow looks locked and the arm straight until way into the downswing behind. You need a slight bend in the elbow through the entire arm circle. Also notice her release point is just AHEAD of the hips, where the ruulebooks say it is supposed to be.

Oct 22, 2009
It's not too late, but finding the right team where she can get a ton of pitching is going to be the key to her success. I have started a couple of 12u's and they do fine, I started a 15yr old, who was an extreme athlete, but she didn't want to leave her travel ball team and they didn't want to give her pitching time, so she had to give up pitching.

May 31, 2011
I have a 12 year old daughter who has been playing since 8U and just now she wants to start pitching. Is it too late for her to really begin and still be effective?
Thanks for any replies

I wouldn't think so if she is really motivated and you know what you're doing (or have a good pc coach lined up for her). Here's the thing though...a pitcher works as hard and probably WAY harder than any other position on the team. Once you start pitching, you will probably be giving up time practicing in the field or in the cage. My DD started when she was 11. 3 years later, it's still a work in progress. I'm glad she does it, but to be honest, if I'd put in half the time with her in the field and cage that I have on a bucket, she'd be a much better all around player for sure. I actually shudder to think how much farther along she would be as a hitter and position player.....

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Not too late at all. My DD didn't touch a glove before 10 and started pitching at 11. She is now 17 and heading to a DII program who made it to the national championships this year.

She will need to work hard, but if that's what she wants to do - GO FOR IT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCsDad