Is it possible to have Men's professional sport be any scummier?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Coogan-discipline and beating your fiance are not the same. You also can't take out of context what chinamigarden said.

How did I take that out of context? You say that discipline and beating your fiance are not the same, but you don't explain how they are not the same. Except to call one discipline. Both were beaten, right? It's OK to beat people if the objective is child discipline?

I respect everyone's opinion. Legitimately curious as to how people think on this. Not suggesting I know it all.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Wait - They're still playing pro-sports... HAD NO IDEA...
Since my DD started Softball I had'nt noticed...

Is the XFL still around? - I liked that HE HATE ME guy...

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I haven't read all the comments, I'm only responding to the OP.

What you described it today's society. In fact, percentage wise, I wouldn't be surprised if the % of professional arrest are lower that the average Joe's. ( I have no statistical back up of this)

As to the whipping of a kid.... to each their own. Whippings have become less and less the norm. Children today on average have less respect rules and authority. IMO, too many children today grow up as adults that don't know what it means to be held responsible for their actions.

I don't know the details of the AP case. He may have went too far, but it reads that you are casting a wide net that includes all whippings.

I took many...many whippings that left marks. Sometimes these marks were visible a couple days later. By the time I was a teenager, I kept my nose clean. Not because I was just a good kid, it was because I FEARED the consequences for my improper action.

I won't judge a parent for not whipping their child, but don't judge me likewise. I will clarify that I'm not talking about beating a child, but whipping without leaving any visible sign is a discipline, it's a heavy hug.

Edited to add: I just saw the pictures. I would say that was excessive punishment for a 4 yo.

I wasn't casting a wide net, I was casting a very specific net-a 4 year old does not need to be whipped repeatedly with a switch to the point of bleeding for any reason. Now a sixteen year old is capable of doing some things that might require an rear whooping, but a 4 year old?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How did I take that out of context? You say that discipline and beating your fiance are not the same, but you don't explain how they are not the same. Except to call one discipline. Both were beaten, right? It's OK to beat people if the objective is child discipline?

I respect everyone's opinion. Legitimately curious as to how people think on this. Not suggesting I know it all.

The knockout blow to Rice's wife was an assault. The discipline of a child, even if it requires striking the child, is an effort to change some behaviour. I'd suggest that more than a few dozen times I looked like those pictures of Peterson's child. In each case, I broke some rule or acted disrespectful in some manner. I was corrected and learned. That is not an assault. The Bible has been used equally by scoundrels and theologians. However, I believe the adage, "Spare the rod and spoil the child." It is a person's duty to discipline their child in a manner that helps the child progress. In our politically correct age, other people want to use their morality to govern how others parent their children. Now, naturally, there is a line. In this case, I'm sure a judge will decide. I am equally sure that the other parent will use this as a ploy to gain more control of the child and/or get more money.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA

The context was that there is a difference between the Ray Rice situation and the AP situation not bring adult vs child, conscious vs unconscious etc in to it.

Not saying AP is right or wrong, I just believe in discipline in the many forms it can take. Beating and abuse aren't one of those forms. There were many lessons I learned the first time....

Jul 23, 2014
Adrian Peterson abused that 4 year old boy. I'm not opposed to spanking and I was on the end of some real good ones as a kid. There is a difference between a welt or two on your backside and open wounds all over the legs of a 4 year old. I think it is ridiculous to try and justify that. A couple of firm swats on the backside with a hand is more than enough to deliver the message and discipline to a 4 year old.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The knockout blow to Rice's wife was an assault. The discipline of a child, even if it requires striking the child, is an effort to change some behaviour. I'd suggest that more than a few dozen times I looked like those pictures of Peterson's child. In each case, I broke some rule or acted disrespectful in some manner. I was corrected and learned. That is not an assault. The Bible has been used equally by scoundrels and theologians. However, I believe the adage, "Spare the rod and spoil the child." It is a person's duty to discipline their child in a manner that helps the child progress. In our politically correct age, other people want to use their morality to govern how others parent their children. Now, naturally, there is a line. In this case, I'm sure a judge will decide. I am equally sure that the other parent will use this as a ploy to gain more control of the child and/or get more money.

Don't like arguing w/ you, CB, as we typically have a similar way of looking at things. But here goes, fwiw ...

Don't you think Ray Rice was trying to change some behavior, also? Wasn't he setting limits with his fiance? He was saying, 'If you do that, I will do this, in order to deter you from doing that again.' And the strategy was probably effective in changing behavior.

So the only difference that I see between the two behavior-modification attempts is that that many people believe that parents have the right to injure their children in the name of behavior modification, but people do not have the right to injure spouses or siblings or non-family members in the name of behavior modification.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I wasn't casting a wide net, I was casting a very specific net-a 4 year old does not need to be whipped repeatedly with a switch to the point of bleeding for any reason. Now a sixteen year old is capable of doing some things that might require an rear whooping, but a 4 year old?

I gotcha now. After seeing the pics, he definitely went too far. I have a 4 yo, and I can promise you that she's done things to warrent a spanking, but never to the extent I saw in the pic taken 4 days afterward.

Just so this thread doesn't take the wrong turn..... does a riseball really jump up right before it reaches the plate? :cool:

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Add to this:

First, the texts AP sent his wife mentioned that AP "accidentally" injured his son's penis. In other words, had things gone a little worse, the kid could've been maimed.

Also, remember those wounds were several days later.

New news in: AP "whupped" another young son of his (how many does he have? Not even AP knows. Not very responsible a parent). The young boy, I think also 4, had some open head wounds.

I think we can all agree that goes a bit far. So far, AP has not gone as far in "disciplining" his sons as did the boyfriend of the mother of yet another of AP's young sons. That man disciplined the boy to death. (AP didn't even know about the boy until a few days earlier).

No matter what we think about corporal punishment, I think we can all agree there is a line one does not cross. Putting a very young kid in danger of being maimed or killed is way over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06