Is it possible to have Men's professional sport be any scummier?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2011
Danny Ferry did not say a damn thing wrong

They are all so twisted up with no moral sense

Oh, the irony.

Speaking of moral sense, there's really no non-racist way to say something racist. Danny Ferry is a very intelligent man. He's smart enough to say exactly what he means. One key element that seems lost in the conversation about the way Luol Deng was described in the 'anonymous scouting report' is the fact that he is - literally - African.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
One more thought worth debating ---

We like to say that softball teaches our kids life's lessons. If sports teach so many life's lessons, then what happened to OJ Simpson and scores of other dubious athletes?

We like to say that sports taught us a lot, but it was mostly our parents and coaches and other role models that taught us. Rather than thank softball, I'd start with them if the game really changed our lives.

Good Point

We are the sum of nature and nurture.... so a combo of innate qualities and role models/experiences. Perhaps the game provides the vehicle from which role models teach. A simple example: How many time as a child did you say "that's not fair" because most people start out wanting things to be just? How many times did your parents tell you "life isn't fair" and the game allowed you to experience that?

As far as those that have gone astray..... who can explain the mind and actions of some. One of the reasons I switched majors in college...away from psych to business.:rolleyes:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've attempted to post a response in this thread several times only to delete. In the age of political correctness, I guess that is what people do. So, I will come out and say that when I was a young child, I was often told to go "cut a switch" and then have it used on me. Let me emphasize "often." The results were much the same as with Peterson's child and is, the typical result of the switch and not some aggressive beating. I was not abused and those lessons learned were valuable to my makeup today. In Peterson's case, he is in a custody battle with the child's mother and so, here was a great time to use this against Peterson. As a parent, there does come a time when you have to decide what form of punishment you are going to use on your child and as un-politically correct as it is, you might have to spank your child.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I've attempted to post a response in this thread several times only to delete. In the age of political correctness, I guess that is what people do. So, I will come out and say that when I was a young child, I was often told to go "cut a switch" and then have it used on me. Let me emphasize "often." The results were much the same as with Peterson's child and is, the typical result of the switch and not some aggressive beating. I was not abused and those lessons learned were valuable to my makeup today. In Peterson's case, he is in a custody battle with the child's mother and so, here was a great time to use this against Peterson. As a parent, there does come a time when you have to decide what form of punishment you are going to use on your child and as un-politically correct as it is, you might have to spank your child.

If today's standards were applied in the 60s and 70s my mother would have died in prison. She didn't abuse us but you were going to get smacked if you acted up. And non of this wait till your father gets home stuff either the punishment was swift and just. I don't think it's remotely fair to compare AP and Ray Rice. It's vastly different to me.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I've worked with several pro franchises and a few 'big' college sports franchises and there has always been a small scum level. The % is probably higher than the general population (one big reason is they HAVE money and spare time to get into trouble) but it is not outrageous - most are good people as you would expect.

The difference today is that it is impossible to cover up major incidents or most minor incidents. With the internet, camera phones, TMZ, Deadspin... everyone is a reporter and thus the franchises can't control the narrative any more. The days of influencing the local newspaper or TV station to be quiet or lose access is gone.

On top of this Twitter is a killer - panders to the ego but gets players in trouble because again, once it is out there, it is out there.

Also exposure means that athletes from other cities are no longer anonymous so when they are traveling people know who they are - they are on TV all the time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sports: There are important life lessons in sports, but a kid can lessons by the time the child is 15YOA.

Pro and D1 college football (and basketball) is entertainment just like NCIS. There isn't any valuable life lesson to be learned. The sports business (leagues, players and media) like to pretend that there is more to it. (The current commercial where NFL players are building a house is ridiculous...Peyton Manning driving a nail? Give me a break...he doesn't know which end of a hammer to use.)

Players are selected and paid in order to win games, not because they are nice people.

Dec 7, 2011
It ALL reflects back on us - the voter AND the ones spending the $ on the sport and the sponsors of those sports. If we (the people) can not muster any real outrage (more than just meaningless symbolisms - like the next colored ribbon to wear) and refuse to tolerate certain lines that get crossed then we get what we deserve.

There are very bad peoples out there willing to die for their cause. I submit that the dominent majority of this country would not raise a finger for "their cause" if it required a scintilla of challenge to their daily routine.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think it's remotely fair to compare AP and Ray Rice. It's vastly different to me.

What are the differences?

One adult female got knocked out with one punch and was dragged unconscious out of an elevator. One 4-year-old male got bruises and whelps from multiple blows that remained visible days later.

Is the difference the adult vs. child? Male vs. female? Unconscious vs. conscious? Public place vs. private place? One blow vs. several? Parent vs. boyfriend?

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
If today's standards were applied in the 60s and 70s my mother would have died in prison. She didn't abuse us but you were going to get smacked if you acted up. And non of this wait till your father gets home stuff either the punishment was swift and just. I don't think it's remotely fair to compare AP and Ray Rice. It's vastly different to me.

I got it from my mom and then from dad when he got home...lol.

Coogan-discipline and beating your fiance are not the same. You also can't take out of context what chinamigarden said.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I haven't read all the comments, I'm only responding to the OP.

What you described it today's society. In fact, percentage wise, I wouldn't be surprised if the % of professional arrest are lower that the average Joe's. ( I have no statistical back up of this)

As to the whipping of a kid.... to each their own. Whippings have become less and less the norm. Children today on average have less respect rules and authority. IMO, too many children today grow up as adults that don't know what it means to be held responsible for their actions.

I don't know the details of the AP case. He may have went too far, but it reads that you are casting a wide net that includes all whippings.

I took many...many whippings that left marks. Sometimes these marks were visible a couple days later. By the time I was a teenager, I kept my nose clean. Not because I was just a good kid, it was because I FEARED the consequences for my improper action.

I won't judge a parent for not whipping their child, but don't judge me likewise. I will clarify that I'm not talking about beating a child, but whipping without leaving any visible sign is a discipline, it's a heavy hug.

Edited to add: I just saw the pictures. I would say that was excessive punishment for a 4 yo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06