Is it a rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I did some trials with the CurveBall Expert, and it seems that the differential is around 10 MPH. A 65 MPH fastball has about the same drop as a 55 MPH riseball. A 60MPH fastball has about the same drop as a 50MPH rise.

If pitcher throws her rise ball 4 or 5 mph slower than her fastball and the drop is the same (reason I was asking about the relationship between speed and drop fastball vs rise ball) what you have is a meat pitch that the batter can tee off on.

I have no idea where you are going with this. This makes no sense at all. As OILF said, its the combination of the pitches that are important during a game. A kid throwing a 60MPH fastball with a 55 MPH rise will be 10x more effective than a kid throwing 65 MPH fastballs.

I've seen kids with 65MPH fastballs and no breaking pitchers. There all over the place at jucos. Good batters rip them apart.

Please don't tell your pitchers to stop working on a riseball because they are throwing it slowly.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
I was curious of the relationship between the 2 and if it is more advantageous to throw a rise ball (upward trajectory but with cork screw spin) if you can throw it faster than a "rise ball" (with 6-12). Pitch selection and variance had nothing to do with it. No sinister plot or hidden agenda, no magical points or inferences just a question born out of curiosity when the numbers were posted. However you seem to have answered my question because I think it is unlikely that any pitchers will have a 10 mph difference in between these pitches. Thanks.

Jun 1, 2013
As stated previously in numerous posts on this thread they all have upward trajectory. Would "upper zone" trajectory be more accurate?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207