OSU v. Florida--the three HR pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2018
Based on her body language you could see that Barnhill was done after the 2nd dinger. Hopefully the ESPN love affair with her will come to a end soon as the Gators fold and go home If she does make the Olympic squad it will only further diminish the game as her inclusion would certainly not be based on merit.
If my daughter becomes as bad as you see Barnhill I will be one proud dad

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I don't care how much you try to look like the Ultimate Warrior a bunch of 70 lb 9,10 and 11 year olds isn't going to look intimidating 😂
But it sure is fun watching them try. DD was discussing with teammates about trying to do their hair like some of OU players. Also, fun to listen to my daughter tell me about how she needs a certain type of cleats or should wear visors with heart KN, or why her team doesn't have custom embroidery on their gloves. Honestly, outside of watching these young ladies play the game, watching them try to emulate their favorites is a darn good time.

Jun 8, 2016
But it sure is fun watching them try. DD was discussing with teammates about trying to do their hair like some of OU players. Also, fun to listen to my daughter tell me about how she needs a certain type of cleats or should wear visors with heart KN, or why her team doesn't have custom embroidery on their gloves. Honestly, outside of watching these young ladies play the game, watching them try to emulate their favorites is a darn good time.
I'd rather they try and emulate how they play rather than how they look :LOL: I played organized baseball for over 15 years and never felt the need for eye black..that is what your glove is for.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Sam Show throws a 12-6 drop. So far, she is the only pitcher I've seen with a "traditional" movement pitch.

Barnhill can throw a traditional 6-12 rise. I'm assuming that the ones that are six inches over the batters head are the 12-6 rise. She doesn't seem to have the control over it she had in the past, possibly due to her modifying her motion.

@riseball "revealed" that type of pitch a few years ago. He is the first person I know of who explained how to throw it.

There are two basic types of breaking pitches:

1) The "traditional" pitch, based on the Magnus effect. These are the 12-6 drop or the 6-12 rise. Without getting too technical, the spin of the ball is in the direction of the pitch, causing the ball to break.

2) The "finger pressure" pitches ( "seam orientation" pitches). If you throw a ball so that, in flight, the seams are more prevalent on one side of the ball, then the ball will break toward that side. This is the "stuck wheel on shopping cart" movement.

Like a shopping cart with a stuck wheel, the side of the ball with more seams will have more drag than the other. One side of the ball is slower than the other side, and thus the ball breaks.

IMHO, a lot PCs are teaching breaking pitches wrong.

It would be much, much easier to teach a kid to throw a bullet spin pitch and then work on finger pressure. A pitcher could then get the ball to move in different directions.

Compared to a 12-6 drop or a 6-12 rise, the pitch won't have as much movement. But, a pitcher could actually achieve more break horizontally than with a traditional curveball and the non-existent screwball.

"G" Juarez's curveball is a traditional curve, it's just that the spin axis is only 45 degrees not horizontal. Yet it's enough to make the pitch effective.

I'm not sure the 'shopping cart wheel' theory really holds up. In the supposedly 'traditional' method of curving a ball using the magnus effect the side of ball that is rotating into the direction of the pitch is creating drag. The side of the ball that is rotating away from the direction has less drag thus the air on that side moves faster. The faster air moves over a surface the less pressure it exerts on that surface, thus the ball will curve away from an area of more drag toward an area with less drag. Thus getting the seams on one side would make the ball curve away from that side not towards it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not sure the 'shopping cart wheel' theory really holds up. In the supposedly 'traditional' method of curving a ball using the magnus effect the side of ball that is rotating into the direction of the pitch is creating drag. The side of the ball that is rotating away from the direction has less drag thus the air on that side moves faster. The faster air moves over a surface the less pressure it exerts on that surface, thus the ball will curve away from an area of more drag toward an area with less drag. Thus getting the seams on one side would make the ball curve away from that side not towards it.

The basics of a "seam orientation curve" is that the ball has bullet spin.

With bullet spin, the axis of rotation of the ball is collinear with the linear direction of movement of the ball. The spin is *NOT* in the direction of the pitch. The spin is perpendicular to the direction of the pitch. Thus, the Magnus force does not occur.

This video explains the science in more detail.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Interesting video, thanks. I'll have to take more time to study it. Off the top of my head the spin that he uses to cause the curving is not what I would call bulletspin. Looking at the splitter that is used at the end the spin is closer to backspin that is about 45 degrees off axis. There is a smooth area in the back left side of that ball which means there is also a smooth area on the opposite side, front right. I'm not sure what causes the break, but to me it means that it might be possible to throw an effective screwball or curveball by using off axis topspin.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207