Is holding players from scoring bad ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
From an umpires point of view, these games are terrible as well.

Selfishly, I like it when the team that is ahead starts walking off bases, etc. to get the outs and get the game over.
However, I have seen situations where the losing coach got upset at that strategy, saying something like...."we don't need your help, let us play!" Fortunately, the situation did not escalate into anything uglier than that.

What I usually see is that a team will keep going until the run rule limit is reached, then ease up. I have seen teams ease up too early then find themselves in a ball game a few innings later.

I guess there is no one-size-fits-all answer, each situation is unique....

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One thing that was encouraging was our girls were cheering the other teams on and several even gave some instructions on how to make a play or hit better.

We are on the wrong side of this equation more then on the right side but I can see the steam coming out of DD’s ears if the other Team is offering her advice.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
We are on the wrong side of this equation more then on the right side but I can see the steam coming out of DD’s ears if the other Team is offering her advice.

Yea, that would be the case in most instances with my DGD, but these were young girls and most of the girls were friends off the field as well as on. Sometimes friendship is more important than a ball game.

Jan 31, 2011
I have been on both sides and a 20-0 game teaches nothing to either team. I have girls step off to end innings. I have been told thanks by some and called names by others. I really don't care anymore. A ten run lead is plenty if you know your team is fundamentally more advanced.

On the other side of the equation; I always thank the other coach. Coaches tend to have long term memories when they get beat by 20 plus runs. I have the chance this weekend to hopefully even the score against a team that ran the score up big time when my previous team was a young 10U. The guy was up by a ton and he just kept delayed stealing home and rubbing my catcher's nose in it. She was 9YO at the time. This was 4 years ago and it still boils my blood.

Also be warry of older " sister" teams watching their younger team get humiliated. What comes around goes around...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2009
NE
This past weekend (12U) we were ahead 10 - 0, bases loaded, 1 out, bottom of 3rd, already scored 6 runs this inning. I knew we would get the last 2 runs needed to end the game before the 3 outs if I don't do something. I wanted to get my 4th pitcher (my DD) an inning of work.

So I had the runner at 3 step off early. I made sure the field umpire knew and after she does I let the other coach know I had a pitcher who hadn't pitched yet this year I wanted to throw, he said that was fine. The batter ended up grounding out to end the inning.

My DD would pitch the top of 4th, 2k's, 2BB's and a 1-3 put out. The two BB's would come around to score on WP's. She took almost every batter to full count.

We ended up getting to bat again in the 4th as we needed 2 more runs to make it 12-2 final. So in this case i got work for a begging pitcher and 6 more at bats for girls by stepping off for 1 out.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I have been on both sides and a 20-0 game teaches nothing to either team. I have girls step off to end innings. I have been told thanks by some and called names by others. I really don't care anymore. A ten run lead is plenty if you know your team is fundamentally more advanced.

On the other side of the equation; I always thank the other coach. Coaches tend to have long term memories when they get beat by 20 plus runs. I have the chance this weekend to hopefully even the score against a team that ran the score up big time when my previous team was a young 10U. The guy was up by a ton and he just kept delayed stealing home and rubbing my catcher's nose in it. She was 9YO at the time. This was 4 years ago and it still boils my blood.

Also be warry of older " sister" teams watching their younger team get humiliated. What comes around goes around...

My DD coach will have girls step off if the game is getting out of hand, but she usually lets the other coach know, as well as the umpire. I don't think she's ever gotten hassled for doing it. But speaking of long memories, DD team played up in a local league, and played age limit in tourneys. Two of the league games got rained out (DH league) and rescheduled for a Sat that the team would be out of town for a tournament. The league director gave DD coach several alternative dates, so she called the opposing coach to try to move the games (DH league). The other coach insisted no other date in the two week span worked for her team and forced DD team to take the forfeit, costing them 2nd place. It was the only losses DD team had for that league. It wasn't the losses that bothered DD coach, but the reason for them. Well it just so happened DD team played this team in pool play for a tournament that same summer and pounded them 21-0 in 3. The umpire working the bases had worked many games for DD team and knew that the coach would typically walk off to end the bleeding. He walked over and asked her if she was going to have girls walk off and she told him "She's earning her outs today". This was 1st yr 14U. She told me later she felt a little petty for doing it, but she was still aggravated at the opposing coach for refusing to work with her.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I have been on both sides. We have a 15 point 3rd inning run rule any ways (JV ball in our area). If we get up by 15 points by the 3rd inning then game is called. I just want it over quickly, either because we are getting beat or the other team is. Especially during a tournament, get the girls off the field and rest for the next game (and discuss what just happened).

We played a team Tuesday night that did not even have a developed pitcher. I felt bad but they got to hit first and then we ended the game. 18-0....lets go home and prepare for the next game.

Jan 31, 2011

Beat the team in question 7-0 yesterday. Now I can move on mentally, LOL.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
lhowser;104483 BUT do not make intentional outs to quicken game. the other team needs to learn and the best way and most painful way to learn is to play against better teams and try and make plays. [/QUOTE said:
I cannot disagree more. When an inning gets out of hand, it gets into the girls heads. They make bad careless plays because they have lost their focus. Until they get a chance to calm down and refocus, it is very unlikely they will get it together enough to end an inning.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Went and watched some of my DD's friends play in a little league game the other night . It was horrendous as the other team was just destroying them . The league here doesn't have a run rule until the 5th inning and the other team wound up beating them 38-4 . It was painful to watch the other teams coaches continue to push their girls to steal bases and score runs knowing that all they were really doing was prolonging the game and thus the pain of their opponents . The Little League teams here just don't know how to take their foot off the pedal and end the game . The sad part is that they really thought they had done something great by destroying the other team in such a fashion .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild