Is a catcher that important?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When a pitcher has a catcher that they can throw any pitch to without worrying about whether the catcher will handle it cleanly it provides a real confidence boost. On top of that, good receiving is likely to gain an additional 5-10 called strikes to game, which can make a huge difference.

IME, as the pitchers get better and they consistently hit their spots, the apparent need for accomplished catchers lessens. Unless they were a high-level pitcher or catcher, many coaches underestimate and don't appreciate the tangible and intangible differences an accomplished catcher can make. Even at the college level, I see a number of coaches yielding to the temptation to sacrifice the position in favor of a bigger bat; considering that the catcher catches for approx. 25-35 at bats during a game, and only has 2-4 at bat/game, that is shortsighted IMO.

Very true. In the case of my DD is was the difference between a poor catcher and a competent catcher. This season she has yet another catcher that she says is one of the very best she has had. Looking forward to the 4 hour drive to her school this weekend! :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Very true. In the case of my DD is was the difference between a poor catcher and a competent catcher. This season she has yet another catcher that she says is one of the very best she has had. Looking forward to the 4 hour drive to her school this weekend! :)

Does this mean she signed with one of the teams that have been recruiting her? spill the beans RB.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Does this mean she signed with one of the teams that have been recruiting her? spill the beans RB.

Not yet. She is staying put for this season. Mizzou wanted her for 2015 but she passed. Too quick too soon. Just got back from Purdue where she had a great visit. This Fall season she throws against South Carolina, FSU, Tennessee, FAMU, South Alabama, and Florida. Ouch! Expect to be done with the process by November.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Last Fall, DD was catching exclusively for 1 of our better pitchers and the pitcher was on FIRE. Following spring season HC Froze DD and pitcher because he was really satisfied with the results from Fall. 3 weeks into the season DD developed knee pains so we stopped catching her for almost 3 weeks. Backup catcher frustrated our pitcher so much, pitcher lost all trust with catcher. 4-6 dropped 3rd strikes by catcher PER inning, crazy sad, pitcher started holding back on pitches which made her more hittable, more balls that lead to more walks. Once DD got back, HC failed to realize the effect backup catcher had on our pitcher and split DD's catching time. We didn't end up having the success we could have had. I learned that season how big an impact a catcher has on a pitcher but few people fail to notice and just chalk it up to "oh, pitchers in a slump".

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We tell our catchers they are the most important players on the field - that is why home plate points to them.

Our NECC-philosophy catchers are absolutely worth 5-10 strikes minimally per game and NO ONE runs on us (well more than once any way).

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its called a battery for a reason!
The polar opposites must be in perfect harmony working together. Otherwise you just get that green acidic goo that ruins your electronic devise!
A good catcher is a must!

Apr 1, 2010
In a word "yes". Aside from the pitcher there is no one else who can effect a game as much as a catcher.

Cat has dragged her catcher with her since college. I saw one game where Cat clearly was frustrated and called her catcher over to get her straight.

That catcher is Megan Willis. DD has done a few clinics with her. She does some things a lot like NECC; others less so, but there's a lot of good things DD has picked up from her. She's a real dynamo and a great role model. JMHO.

Apr 23, 2012
"IS A CATCHER THAT IMPORTANT"

Went and watched one of the pitchers DD use to catch for last season this past Sunday, and watched their catcher let 5 runs score on pass balls and thats not counting the free bases given on bobbled & pass balls. This was at a 16U exposure tournament.

So now as a coach you have to hold your pitcher back from throwing low curve, drop curve, drop ball and change up during an exposure tournament.. Lets just say pitchers dad was not happy...

I'm sure if you asked the coaching staff and players on that team if the catcher is that important I bet their answer would be a BIG YES.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Its called a battery for a reason!
The polar opposites must be in perfect harmony working together. Otherwise you just get that green acidic goo that ruins your electronic devise!
A good catcher is a must!

I love the analogy but when it was first referred to as a battery, electronic devices had not yet been invented. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24