IR question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I watched a bunch of video and stills that Mike White (pitching coach for Team USA) brought to a conference and they all showed that "follow through" as we know it, does not really happen. In reality, the hand actually extends and brings the arm straight towards the catcher long after release, and not until this happens does the pitcher actually "follow through" with whatever style they are taught. It didn't matter if they tried to do a hello elbow or opposite shoulder, the slow motion was all the same after release, meaning that taught follow through has no impact on pitching and cannot be used as a tool to analyze pitching motion.

Just thought I'd throw that out as an FYI.

-W

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Starsnuffer, could you expound a little bit on the following part of your post. thanks

"In reality, the hand actually extends and brings the arm straight towards the catcher long after release",

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I watched a bunch of video and stills that Mike White (pitching coach for Team USA) brought to a conference and they all showed that "follow through" as we know it, does not really happen. In reality, the hand actually extends and brings the arm straight towards the catcher long after release, and not until this happens does the pitcher actually "follow through" with whatever style they are taught. It didn't matter if they tried to do a hello elbow or opposite shoulder, the slow motion was all the same after release, meaning that taught follow through has no impact on pitching and cannot be used as a tool to analyze pitching motion.

Just thought I'd throw that out as an FYI.

-W

??????

I don't know how anyone can say the follow-through has no impact on pitching the ball?! What some don't realize is that what happens to the arms and hands AFTER release of the ball is a direct result (cause & effect) of what is happening PRIOR to release of the ball. This is a key concept of the whole Internal Rotation discussion that is often overlooked. Ever try to throw a baseball by NOT throwing across the body to the non-throwing arm leg; but instead come straight down with the arm after release to the throwing arm leg. See any difference is the result of the throw? You can't separate the follow-through from the pre-release of the ball because the arm action and motion happens too quickly. Throwing underhand (i.e. windmill pitching) is esentially the same motion as throwing overhand and the follow-through is very important to both.

Same with throwing a football, bowling, throwing a javelin, or any other sport you can think of that requires the participant to propel an object using their body. Throwing an object is a mechancially fluid motion that is interelated with all of the muscles in the body, throughout the whole process of the throw. You cannot isolate one movement (the follow-through) without effecting the other movements upstream.

As a pitcher, you should be using IR to your advantage and not fight against it. Forcing the arm into a "hello elbow" finish destroys much of the arm whip that the pitcher tries so hard to create. Not really a tough concept if you actually pick up a softball and try to throw it using both techniques.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Dd has taken a couple of lessons from a DIII college pitcher. She was taught hello elbow and tore the tricep off the bone in high school as result. Too much torque on the arm in an unnatural position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes