IR question,...pretty please? :-)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
So, to translate to people who speak english rather then baseball, you're just saying that the screwball does not have a "late break". It gently curves in the direction of the batter in a predictable arc.

I agree with this.

-W

Jan 27, 2010
tojo, I'm still waiting for a link to that video that you say shows Nelson's "properly thrown" E/R screw with more movement than the sub-standard (your claim) screwball examples I posted.........

In other words, I'm hoping you can substantiate your rebutals/claims in your post above........

Please post the link to that video..........
BM, you can go to youtube and look at the video as I did.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So, to translate to people who speak english rather then baseball, you're just saying that the screwball does not have a "late break". It gently curves in the direction of the batter in a predictable arc.

I agree with this.

-W

I can't speak for everyone's screw. Even the best MLB pitcher's breaking balls DO NOT hit in the same spot 100% of the time, and it can vary from pitcher to pitcher.

I've only been in FP for 10 years, I know there are seasoned members in here that have many more years of experience. But here is my deal. We try so desperately to imitate MLB swings, we try so desperately to imitate fielding mechanics, we try so desperately to imitate catching principles. So why do we run like rabbits from a dog on the pitching side?

The theory of pitching does not change due to overhand or underhand. Your still trying to accomplish the same things a strikeout, pop up, fly out, grounder, something field able.

I've said before, we throw a few hybrid pitches ( hybrid from a FP stance ). Why limit your pitching to FP's 5 sacred pitches? There are sooooo many ways to get a ball to break less/more with less/more speed/revs ( FB, running FB, sinker, slider, hard slider, cutter, curve, slow curve, hard curve, slurve, change up, on and on ).

My whole point is the more you can keep the batter guessing what's coming and how it's going to move at the plate and at what variation of speed it's coming......... is not a bad thing.

My 2 pennies, take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
I hear where you're coming from.

I believe that spin is the only factor that dictates where a pitch goes after release, and that a pitcher can learn how to adjust the spin plane to vary where the spin goes

I think we're talking about the same thing, only that you're naming the variations rather then leaving it open ended.

-W

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
That certainly was not my intent to offend anyone. I apologize and I'm editing my post.

-W

Star, I think you mis-understood my reply. My reply was I DO RESPECT that you handle all your posts with a level of professionalism. I DO enjoy your views and input. I was not being sarcastic, I was being complementary.

I know posts can be taken either way sometimes, my intent was I enjoy our conversations.

Jul 14, 2008
BM, you can go to youtube and look at the video as I did.

Well TJ........She has about 5 videos that I can find. So to guess which one you speak of just isn't worth my time. Because NONE of them show an E/R screwball.........

Jul 14, 2008
BM, aren't you admitting in this post that the screwball has ER with this post?

Huh?........Where in ANY post have I said ANY PITCH can be thrown properly with ANY E/R?........I've only said that I/R can be less or more depending on location and desired spin........

Stop putting words in my mouth please..........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC