IR from a slingshot male pitcher long ago!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Moth, remind me, how old is she? If her drive is messing with her whip, it's a mental block. She's thinking about one, neglecting the other. Maybe she just hasn't grown into her body yet? She'll get it. Sometimes when kids hit growth spurts, they lose control of their body. Like Clifford the Big Red Dog... they don't know how big they are and how to use what they got. My Karate instructor used to tell me if he had my arms and legs (for reach) he'd have never lost a world championship. It took me YEARS to figure out what he meant. Finally I got it but, I didn't got to a world tournament. :(

Bill

She's 15. She got a late start shes been pitching for about 3 years. Shes a thinker! You can see the wheels turing constantly. She would benefit from turning off her brain, listening to her instincts. She try's so hard, and she complicates everything! She can take the easiest assignment and turn it into a 3 day project. I also think confidence has a lot to do with it. Shes had a couple coaches tell her shes not a pitcher ...among other neg. things. HS ball was really hard, unbelievably hard, so bad that both my kids are changing schools. She says it doesn't bother her, but we all know thats not true. Her confidence its at an all time low. The combo of all that is messing with her. Shes strong and shes determined, she'll find a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
mothgirl,

Did Rose ever make that change with her drive foot? Until she fully commits to that mechanical footwork correction, her kinetic energy chain will continue to be unnatural & inefficient. Whether it's fielding, throwing, hitting or baserunning, footwork & lower body mechanics are very important in developing power, speed & control, including pitching. As a reminder, her ackward toe push is responsible for the push upward. Settle that foot naturally, rock & drive for that great back-to-go-forward motion. Like Bill mentioned, it's in her head & there's muscle memory that has to be corrected. There's no question she can physically do it. She accomplished it on her own in less than 5 minutes in Indiana. She'll have to commit to trusting the process of change.

Chris

Wow, I love that you remembered her! She just soaked that up with you! Shes craving good instruction (she just doesn't want it all from me). After Indiana she went back to PC. PC snd I didn't agree. But its cuz pc was telling her to push harder and further and I knew that wasn't going to help, because this is the same thing shes been told for two years and its not helping. So we stopped seeing pc and she starting pitching more in games, which seemed to help more then the lessons did. Rose wants to fix her drive but she just doesn't know what to do, or she try's to work on all of at all at once at 100mpr. I really like you! Your a good coach and Like BH you make me laugh the entire time. (Rose might of smiled but I bet no laugh? Shes all business on the field or during a lesson, shes just starting to lighten up a bit. ...Me and my hubby try to joke around and she gets so mad

Last edited:

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Hi mothgirl,

Have you & Rose ever suggested trying to reach out to Travis Wilson? Travis is an assistant at Florida State. From what I've seen, he's the DNA of the pitching staff there, which would be a carbon-copy of the Indiana skills clinic.

If that's close to you, it may be something in Florida that you may consider exploring. It may be a scenario where you could, at a minimum, get a recommendation for a PC closer to your home town.

If you PM Bill, he may have contact info. Either way, I'm sure we could try to get you in contact if you would have any interest.

:rolleyes:

Chris

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
She's 15. She got a late start shes been pitching for about 3 years. Shes a thinker! You can see the wheels turing constantly. She would benefit from turning off her brain, listening to her instincts. She try's so hard, and she complicates everything! She can take the easiest assignment and turn it into a 3 day project. I also think confidence has a lot to do with it. Shes had a couple coaches tell her shes not a pitcher ...among other neg. things. HS ball was really hard, unbelievably hard, so bad that both my kids are changing schools. She says it doesn't bother her, but we all know thats not true. Her confidence its at an all time low. The combo of all that is messing with her. Shes strong and shes determined, she'll find a way.

Do you have a recent clip of her pitching (maybe post to a new or on-going thread)?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA