International Tie-breaker, Nuances In Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I thought you only have one intentional walk per game?

The level Steve is talking about is way above my pay grade so you could be correct about the number of intentional walks allowed. If that is the case though I'm not sure what "extra" defensive strategy Steve might be looking for in this case. Maybe the unintentional-intentional walk? I mean there is nothing in the rules against throw 4 balls way out of the zone right? You just risk a wild pitch.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Home team on defense, take any out they give you, but try to keep the runner from scoring. One run scoring is not the end of the world, but don't give up a big inning by not taking the opportunity to get the out.

Visitors on defense, if you scored one run or more, use the same stratagy. If you didn't score, walk the first batter and play for the force at 3rd. If the runner gets to third with less than 2 outs, load the bases and play everyone in for the force at home. Out fielders can only play as deep as they can throw the runner out at home on a flyball, as well as not letting a bloop fly land.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Home team on defense, take any out they give you, but try to keep the runner from scoring. One run scoring is not the end of the world, but don't give up a big inning by not taking the opportunity to get the out.

Visitors on defense, if you scored one run or more, use the same stratagy. If you didn't score, walk the first batter and play for the force at 3rd. If the runner gets to third with less than 2 outs, load the bases and play everyone in for the force at home. Out fielders can only play as deep as they can throw the runner out at home on a flyball, as well as not letting a bloop fly land.

All good sense. However, if the Visitors do score, it puts more pressure on the Home Team. It is just one more advantage the Visitors have; PRESSURE! They dictate the tempo so to speak.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
All good sense. However, if the Visitors do score, it puts more pressure on the Home Team. It is just one more advantage the Visitors have; PRESSURE! They dictate the tempo so to speak.

I agree with you on this, and I prefer to be visitors, especially in ITB. But, with a runner on 2nd and no outs, you gotta figure you can at least score one! What really puts pressure on the home team is scoring two! I've been in a lot of ITB games and it seems as though if the visitors score more than one, the game ends pretty quickly. It takes away the home team being able to bunt the runner around as you can't afford to give up the out. Gotta hit to win, and that's pressure. Give up one, you're still alive. Give up two, and 9 out of 10 times, you lose. I just don't like putting any extra runners on base unless they don't matter.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I thought you only have one intentional walk per game?

Not to my knowledge. Perhaps it is an Aussie Association rule? In ISF you don't have to throw the pitches. The umpire is notified by the pitcher that she wants to walk the batter, time is called, and the batter sent to first base. It was done to speed up the game. How does the "Continuation Play and Look-back Rules" apply here?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm guessing that a runner was walkied to set up the force at 3rd and then the runners advanced on a successful bunt, thus leaving runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Using the same logic, they should then walk the bases loaded to set up a force at home (and/or possible double play scenario).

Ding, Ding, Ding!
The coaches walked the first batter, setting up a force at 3rd. The runners were sacrificed over, and with runners on 2nd and 3rd, the next batters were pitched to. Each hit an infield ground ball, the fielders were confused, and in at least the case of Russia, the Netherlands runner was a dead-duck at the plate when the ball was hit to the 2nd baseman. Unfortunately, being pulled up for a play at the plate, the ball was hit between her and 1st base, and I think this influenced her indecision. She started to throw to 1st, home, then 1st. She did get the second out! :) Same kind of scenario for Australia in Oklahoma City.

If you go back and look at the first play of the inning, how was this logic flawed?

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
If you go back and look at the first play of the inning, how was this logic flawed?

Here's my guess...I would think if you walk the first batter then the next play, regardless of where it's hit (other than the outfield) should be made to third for the attempted force out. Your strategy either pays off, or you have bases loaded. Whether it's a bunt or not...at that point the play should be to third....If you don't go to third, and allow them to sacrifice, you're basically jumping ship on your own plans...you have to at least TRY for the out at third thereby supporting your decision to walk the first batter.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Here's my guess...I would think if you walk the first batter then the next play, regardless of where it's hit (other than the outfield) should be made to third for the attempted force out. Your strategy either pays off, or you have bases loaded. Whether it's a bunt or not...at that point the play should be to third....If you don't go to third, and allow them to sacrifice, you're basically jumping ship on your own plans...you have to at least TRY for the out at third thereby supporting your decision to walk the first batter.

What if it is hit up the middle or to 2nd base? In this case they already walked the first batter to set up a force at 3rd. But then their plans broke down after the sacrifice bunts. 2nd and 3rd, 1 out in each case, and all heck broke loose. It looked like rookie ball all of a sudden instead of The Great 8 at WCWS.

If you don't get an out, then what do you do? Would you walk the bases loaded and then you expect to get out of it with no outs? What about with 1 out? That is your HINT! Think consistency :)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
Steve, this is an awesome topic and I really appreciate all of the insight given. For me, its extremely timely as we lost the semi-final game last weekend in ITB. It was in a dome and we were visitor. This is 14U TB & the game was tied 1-1. I had my lead off batter on 2nd base and my #2 hitter is a great bunter. I thought we were in a great position to make something happen. So, we bunted her over, they took the out at first base. I had 1 out with runner on 3rd. My #3 hitter was on fire all weekend. She had her first HR of her career and two shots bounced over the fence ground-rule doubles. I thought I was in the driver seat. Well, she popped up and hit the roof which means dead ball out. My blood pressure was maxing out at that time. But, my clean up hitter is a very solid bat so I thought all is not lost yet. She hits the ball very hard and on the turf I though we had a great chance still. But, she grounded out. We got 0 runs. Not what I was hoping for, ugh.

On defense, we decided to try for the lead runner. Opponent bunted down 3rd base line, we fielded it clean and tried for the play at 3rd. It was a bang-bang play but she was safe. So runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs. We intentionally walked the next batter setting it up for a force at home. Bases loaded no outs. Next batter promptly hit a great shot to right center to win the game.

Any advice on playing this differently? My only advice to myself is not to strand the 9 base runners we left on base throughout the game and I don't have to worry about ITB! LOL.

Thanks. This is great stuff to learn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves