Interference at home by a retired runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2013
This came to my attention in the neverending thread on the TX HS championship game. (I actually don't want to talk about THOSE plays. Plenty of discussion on them elsewhere.)

Another play from that game that caught my eye and seemed like a strange no-call is in this highlight video starting at about 0:33. A grounder to F5 with bases loaded; F5goes home for the force but the catcher gets taken down by the runner before she can release to attempt the double play at 1B.

It looks to me like the runner coming home:
A) has a wide-open path to the plate
and
B) has been retired for at least 15' on the force out (well before she even begins her slide)
and
C) slides cleats first into the catcher a good 3' inside fair territory in what appears an obvious attempt to break up the double play

So my questions...
The ump is right there at the plate and makes no call. Is that a good no-call?

Does it matter at that point if the B/R had already reached safely? (this seems unlikely since the girl with a lead on the pitch is just crossing the area of the plate)

Had interference been called, would the B/R have been put out or the immediately succeeding runner (i.e. the girl now standing on 3B)?

Jun 22, 2008
My personal opinion is it was plain and simple a take out slide. Runner starts running in foul territory, moves to the baseline about half way home and then in last couple of steps purposely moves inside the baseline and goes sideways to take out the catchers feet. However, opinions are split. Other officials say nothing illegal about slide since she could reach the plate. Regardless of that, as to your question on interference. If there was a possible play and the umpire judged it to be interference, the runner has already been put out. The ball is dead and the runner closest to home would also be out, batter runner awarded first unless the batter runner is the runner closest to home.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
What about NFHS 2.52.2 Illegal Slide: d. the runner slashes or kicks the fielder with either leg ? If so, 8-6-13 and Penalty could also be used to call the runner closest to home out. If not, 8-6-16c still works.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I watched this earlier today. Without going back to look again, I don't remember seeing any "slash or kick". It was just a straight feet first slide at F2's feet.

Mar 2, 2013
I see the following:

R3 runs in foul ground or just on the line in the beginning.

R3 moves into fair ground when F1 fields the ball.

The plate was completely open to R3 the way she was running initially.

There was no need to alter R3's path.

F2 had the ball when R3 was about 20 feet from home.

R3 moved further off the line and directed her movements toward F2, not home plate.

Nothing illegal about R3's feet.

Slide was extremely late, as well as unnecessary.

Conclusion: R3 intended to prevent F2 from making a subsequent play.

Nov 15, 2013
Nothing illegal or dirty about that play. Preventing the double play should be something every girl knows to do.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
What I take from the videos is that the girls from those two TX high schools don't like each other...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I just watched the video. R3 doesn't really go in cleats-first. She kind of lays her body out sideways and uses her legs to intentionally take out the feet of the catcher. It's more of a leg sweep than anything.

Me personally, I don't like it, especially since she blind-sides the poor catcher. But is it any different than the runner going into second high to try to break up the double play? The one difference I see between the two is that she went out of her way to initiate contact, whereas in breaking up the double play you're often just trying to prevent the fielder from stepping where she wants to to make the throw.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors