Interesting stats from game changer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
While I like Gamechanger stats, they are only as good as the person entering the data which most of the time is entered by marginally educated scorekeepers. For example, the hard hit ball (HHB) is either a line drive or hard hit ground ball. Can a typical mom/dad scorekeeper really tell the difference and are they being consistent among teammates, other team batters, etc? And with errors vs. hits stats its wildly inaccurate. For example, after one rec season (16 games), several teams had ZERO Reached on Error (ROE) stats for any player! Conversely, their teams batting average was over .400! (no surprise there).

As I mentioned above, stats are only as good as the scorekeeper. However, I do think there are some great parent scorekeepers out there. I know that I probably error on being too tough on my DD. Only real softball-related fight my wife and I ever have gotten in was over a scorekeeping decision I made for DD.

To me, the hard hit ball is tough. What is hard hit for one kid may not be for another. Sometimes, I'll have the girls on the bench with me decide. That's fun and keeps them in the game (I do, from time to time, overrule them). But, unless you have access to exit velocity stats, hard hit balls are always going to be subjective even for professional scorekeepers.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Line drive to the gap = HHB
Hard ground ball that eats up an infielder = HHB
Line drive right at a fielder (caught) = HHB

Usually when I am on the bench I hear from the girls "that ball was smoked" = HHB
Parent on sideline hands me a $20.00 = HHB!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not a big fan of the 6-pitch AB being called quality. Would not use it. It often means that the batter failed to square ball several times without making an out. That's often more luck that quality.

Jun 12, 2015
My favorite stat from Game Changer/iScore is WHIP for a pitcher....
Low is good, right? I just checked iScore and my dd's got the lowest of the 3 on our team. Of course, I've been learning iScore and score keeping as I go so the accuracy is questionable. But if it's off its probably off for everybody. I'd never skew stats on purpose.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Not a big fan of the 6-pitch AB being called quality. Would not use it. It often means that the batter failed to square ball several times without making an out. That's often more luck that quality.

True. But, if the pitcher has a set pitch count of 65 and one at bat chews up 10% of that, id call that quality.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Low is good, right? I just checked iScore and my dd's got the lowest of the 3 on our team. Of course, I've been learning iScore and score keeping as I go so the accuracy is questionable. But if it's off its probably off for everybody. I'd never skew stats on purpose.

Yes, against good competition a WHIP less than 1.0 is very good!

Jun 12, 2015
Hers is 1.25. She only pitched 4 games in the fall though, so take that for what it's worth. Hope to see many more this spring!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles