Information Overload

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I recommend jbooth, FFS, Wellphyt, Dr. Chris Yeager. They are obviously experts. I also chose them because they are active contributors on this site.

Some of what they say is highly technical but they can also present it on a beginner level and advance it from there. They can present it so clearly that if the reader would try their instructions the reader would find themselves understanding at the level that is needed to teach it to a player.

I keep reading about some posters' DDs who have been very successful. I think that's great but that doesn't necessarily mean they are any more qualified than the ones I've mentioned. Now, if everyone of their students achieved the same success I would have to come to a different conclusion. Not saying they aren't great teachers, just saying that because their DDs have had great success doesn't necessarily mean it all came from their teacher. As a matter of fact, with most kids, it takes a village to raise a great hitter.

My suggestion is to keep studying and learning from EVERYONE. Ask questions. Throw in a few thoughts of your own. Post something you KNOW is wrong occasionally and see what feedback you get. You'd be surprised how much you can learn from that.

There are others for sure that are experts on here, also. Those mentioned just happen to be some I am able to understand. They are clear in their explanations. If they get TOO technical, ask them to explain in simpler terms. I've never seen them reject sincere requests.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I recommend jbooth, FFS, Wellphyt, Dr. Chris Yeager. They are obviously experts. I also chose them because they are active contributors on this site.

I agree with you in on this..."because they are active contributors" I do the same thing when I picked the model swing. I want DD to be able to watch her models in streamed games too, and be friends with them on facebook. She know whats going on in Cali even, clinics, hitting challenges, and even reads how they are doing in Japan...and sees pics of what they had for dinner... ect... If I get the right ones, she will also be able to go to one of her models NPF games every year.

But one problem with listing like this is that 99.9% of the resources are left out. I do know a little about the ones you mentioned. At least now I even can say I have at least heard of them. Each have helped me, by helping the others. I figure once I get where my questions aren't so stupid, or they can realize that I'm not just wasting everyones time....if I'm honest, and polite, they will give me at least "a word". I might have to look it up, but my search will put us in the right direction. To me everyone that has a DD is an expert. When mine comes home from school, and tells me she can be president some day, I say your Right. I also am trying to teach her that no HONEST question is too stupid to ask, of the right people, at the right time.

She was elated that I was nominated for President & VP on this forum. And even challenged to keep working for 2016... That hit pay dirt for her. She knows league Presidents and their families. First thing she told me this morning was she heard that the guy who didn't win last night, said he was getting out of politics. She said what will he do now... I said something alot more important, like Coach one of his DGD's teams now. I said, we got to figure out how to get someone in there that will add a batting cage in the bowling alley in the White House. I told her I "think" they have a wiffle ball tournament on the Lawn. Now I got to try and prove that...TODAY...my homework...lol Her homework tonight is to start working on a letter to ask the President's Wife and ask her if she will take this re-newed opportunity to help with Fastpitch. The process will be to write a tweet, then a message, then a letter on her stationary w/ her logo... triple play. Yes I'm teaching her te tweet, so that she don't think she has to go on & on like her Daddy.

Anyways softballphreak you are on my list of people that We learn from... along with every one of the regulars. I even appreciate the ones that I must have annoyed... some of the help they gave was priceless. I think everyone is kinda a AM...assistant moderator, if they think your comments are pointless, you get the hook with them...We look at them as the Coaches form the other teams. She has had some say some things to her in games that used to hurt her, but she also knows now that they also slap her 5 alittle harder, and usually add an extra pat on her helmet or head band, in the end, win or lose in the line up. Two of the best Coaches, from the hightest ranked teams that she has faced, even found their way to come out to the parking lot, to have a smoke with me. She asked me what they said, I gave her the long story about the Peace Pipe.

Cation: if you think you just wasted your time reading the above prognostication, don't click the link below. Is just the song that that she has to learn for her school music program...

Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive - Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters - YouTube

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Well , after that long winded post about nothing , can we get this back on the tracks?

I find this really interesting. I believe that if I asked this about pitching , I would get overwhelming responses for Hillhouse. But , for some reason , nobody is really willing to put forth that kind of ringing endorsement for a hitting guru.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Well , after that long winded post about nothing , can we get this back on the tracks?

I find this really interesting. I believe that if I asked this about pitching , I would get overwhelming responses for Hillhouse. But , for some reason , nobody is really willing to put forth that kind of ringing endorsement for a hitting guru.

Most won't answer when they feel the OP is about nothing, one will indulge you with triple the nothingness nicely. You seem to be in a hurry to prove a point, that already has a preconceived answer. I for one can't identify for a quest of a guru... I think more in terms of Presidents, Generals, CEO, webMasters & Coach. When you link your elusive person to these other manifestations of their total Personhood, you'll find what your looking for. :p

Jan 24, 2011
Most won't answer when they feel the OP is about nothing, one will indulge you with triple the nothingness nicely. You seem to be in a hurry to prove a point, that already has a preconceived answer. I for one can't identify for a quest of a guru... I think more in terms of Presidents, Generals, CEO, webMasters & Coach. When you link your elusive person to these other manifestations of their total Personhood, you'll find what your looking for. :p

Not trying to prove a point about anything. Just trying to find out who everyone thinks has the best info about hitting to provide.:p

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Sorry put this under the wrong thread earlier.

Everyone has all these opinions of the physical mechanics or training to become a better hitter. And I agree with that to a point. Do you think the "experts" could walk into a HS classroom, randomly grab a girl and make her into a world class hitter? No, not gonna happen.

There are pieces of the top Athelets puzzle that must be genetically present, or psychologically developed over a life time. And unfortunately those are things that really can't be taught a couple hours a day with a HC or all the video anylosis in the world.

It starts with something as simple as vision. Most top Athelets have excellent vision, 20/20 or better. Sounds too easy? I can't tell you how many players I've seen who struggled and it was vision related. ( have your kids tested once a year )

Most baseball players have extraordinary capabilities to coordinate physical and mental processes, including fast reaction times, focus and high visual acuity.

( The scientific ivory hunters of Columbia University discovered that the secret of Babe Ruth's batting, reduced to non-scientific terms, is that his eyes and ears function more rapidly than those of other players; that his brain records sensations more quickly and transmits its orders to the muscles much faster than does that of the average man. The tests proved that the coordination of eye, brain, nerve system, and muscle is practically perfect, and that the reason he did not acquire his great batting power before the sudden burst at the beginning of the baseball season of 1920, was because, prior to that time, pitching and studying batters disturbed his almost perfect coordination. )

Next is prediction, and again a psychological process. Be mindful of the pitcher, know what "her" pitchers are. Counts, outs, base runners all have to be accounted for in your approach at the plate.

This game is different, there is time to think before the action starts. That's where the "focus" comes in. Most great players can drown out parents, fans, noises, and the fear of failing to accomplish the task at hand.

One of my favorites is attitude. A mixture of all these is usually one of your best players/hitters.

self-confidence
arrogance
mental toughness
emotional control
extraordinary focus

Keep this in mind at your next try outs or when you recruit players, or choose a PC/HC. The best traits are from the neck up, not the shoulders down.

Aug 28, 2012
All of those bullet said have had some good arguements, but ad noontime. Noon talks about the swing by what he feels, what he sees, and a "now you try it, and see what you think" approach.

Hey thanks for the props! Free GIFs for you! (they are all free but shhhh... here is the link to my entire collection if anyone feels like browsing 1200 GIFs :) Pictures by baseballgifs - Photobucket Warning: It's all baseball and not the most organized, when I started I didn't plan on it getting this big and I can't reorganize without breaking all the old links).

In those other threads I did my best to describe my understanding of rear leg drive and an exercise that may allow one to feel something different than their "normal" swing. The idea being that at the very least one could feel and have an idea of what those who advocate that type of mechanic are talking about. It is but a piece of the puzzle. For more comprehensive instruction in the vein of "who has online material that I would pay for".. I'd go Bobby Tewksbary as well (tewkshitting.com).

However if you have time and like to read :) There is a wealth of information on these boards. A good way to jump in at any site is usually to sort the threads by the most number of replies and views. This gives you the "all time" hot threads for that forum. After having gone through some of those, you will likely have a few posters who you would like to hear more from. There is search functionality where you can see the entirety of a posters "posting" career. This will usually lead you into other threads with other topics of interest. You can also sort threads by "Thread Starter" and go to all threads started by a particular poster. It's a lot of work and a lot of time, especially when coupled with getting out and trying what you can, but can be very rewarding in the end.

Cheers,
NoonTime

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Interesting post from Dena Tyson from a few years ago on here:

Of course my father (Marty Tyson) has been my hitting instructor my whole life... And I use to drop my hands a lot in highschool so he kept me doing a lot of high tee and high toss. A huge thing I attribute my success to is in 2007 addition, slot/connection and bat lag really hit the scene and I worked very hard on that and was able to master keeping my hands inside the ball.

2ymwruq.gif

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I follow the teachings of Ted Williams. I ignore anything that contradicts what he teaches. Then I adapt the overthrow model to hitting, making sure that the parts of the overhand throw that I use are consistent with what Ted teaches. Then I borrow stuff from others who explain things differently than I do, but still fit my methodology.

For instance; when Boardmember posted the stuff on "Secret In The Dirt", I found it helpful because it highlighted a movement that fit my methodology...was consistent with the overhand throw and Williams.

Same with "Carve and Filet". Although that action wasn't new to me; I found his phraseology useful in describing the movement to others.

Yeager's back arm info fits my methodology. Slaught's skip-a-rock demo fits my methodology.

Jbooth is my go to guy for anatomical accuracy.

I also dabble some in reading about the Golf Swing; but I'm not a golfer, so I can only read so much of that stuff before I fall asleep.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom