Information Overload

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Cyclonesoftball, go read some of those sites listed. Then, read the attacks on former members. Then decide whether you want to submit video of your child and then see how you and your child is attacked on the internet and via the video that you submitted if you decide that you are not in agreement and want to move on.

Keep in mind that there are several people who profess to give lessons etc and produce results. It really is a minefield. I can't recommend any of them since none of them have worked with my child. I apologize for giving my opinion here but did want to make sure that YOU DO go visit some of those sites to see what might await you.

Jan 24, 2011
Cyclonesoftball, go read some of those sites listed. Then, read the attacks on former members. Then decide whether you want to submit video of your child and then see how you and your child is attacked on the internet and via the video that you submitted if you decide that you are not in agreement and want to move on.

Keep in mind that there are several people who profess to give lessons etc and produce results. It really is a minefield. I can't recommend any of them since none of them have worked with my child. I apologize for giving my opinion here but did want to make sure that YOU DO go visit some of those sites to see what might await you.

I have recently visited several of those sites. One in particular I find quite negative. Anyway , as far as video , I think I might only send clips to some posters that I respect and get their advice via PM

Jan 24, 2011
Yes. Others on this site don't like their approach. You aren't getting simple answers because there aren't any...the two I mentioned figure things out via discussion/argument/active experimentation.

If you want something easy to start with, look to an RightViewPro DVD or maybe Epstein, but they have their detractors as well.

Add: Maybe one thing I AM saying is if you can find someone you can trust locally, do your hitting lessons in person, not via the Internet....then keep learning and vetting and fine-tuning via the hitting boards....

Not looking for a hitting lesson. Just curious/looking for a general consensus on who most think is the best/most reliable "expert" and why they prefer their approach

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I started with Charlie Lau as a baseball coach. I then got Hudgen's video and used some stuff from it. From there Epstein. Then, I got the DVDs from Englishbey. I also am a member of his private site where I consider the "real information" is found. IOW, his dvds pale in comparison to what is there. I used a combination of all of these various gurus as I coached my child. I still put video of my child on Englishbey's private site and enjoy the conversations there. However, there are a lot of guys here who have also been there and done that. I hope that they weight in on their opinions. People like SSarge, Mark Hanson and Boardmember have put students at very high levels in softball.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
I started with Charlie Lau as a baseball coach. I then got Hudgen's video and used some stuff from it. From there Epstein. Then, I got the DVDs from Englishbey. I also am a member of his private site where I consider the "real information" is found. IOW, his dvds pale in comparison to what is there. I used a combination of all of these various gurus as I coached my child. I still put video of my child on Englishbey's private site and enjoy the conversations there. However, there are a lot of guys here who have also been there and done that. I hope that they weight in on their opinions. People like SSarge, Mark Hanson and Boardmember have put students at very high levels in softball.

Thanks for your info

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So....would the two you just mentioned be the ones you would refer the average parent to for reliable info ?

IMO, it's not the average parent or player we're really talking about. The average parents and players aren't here on DFP or other hitting boards and are not interested in investing the time, money, and effort required to understand, appreciate, and achieve a high-level swing. Essentially, those that you're trying to identify are the "best of the best" of those with an interactive internet presence. Recognizing this, the instruction and advice offered here more than likely is significantly more advanced than is available to most in their local area.

The value of this site is that the high-level swing is recognized and discussed by numerous teachers/students of hitting in a varied manner of terms, approaches, and perspectives. IMO, there's probably 95+% agreement on what constitutes a high-level swing and most of the disagreement experienced here is related to how to describe and/or teach it. This is the good news; the bad news is that with this insight it quickly becomes quite clear that most local hitting instructors aren't teaching it, and, as a result, it falls on the average DFP parent to teach their own DD because that's the best option available.

IMO, many understand, but few can teach effectively, so limiting it to DFP and those with demonstrated swing knowledge AND teaching ability - for a clinic or group, it would be Hitter (with Bustos welcome). For individual lessons, l'd take my chances with Hitter, Tewks, or MTS. And for dessert, I'll have Jay Weaver for catching.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
IMO, it's not the average parent or player we're really talking about. The average parents and players aren't here on DFP or other hitting boards and are not interested in investing the time, money, and effort required to understand, appreciate, and achieve a high-level swing. Essentially, those that you're trying to identify are the "best of the best" of those with an interactive internet presence. Recognizing this, the instruction and advice offered here more than likely is significantly more advanced than is available to most in their local area.

The value of this site is that the high-level swing is recognized and discussed by numerous teachers/students of hitting in a varied manner of terms, approaches, and perspectives. IMO, there's probably 95+% agreement on what constitutes a high-level swing and most of the disagreement experienced here is related to how to describe and/or teach it. This is the good news; the bad news is that with this insight it quickly becomes quite clear that most local hitting instructors aren't teaching it, and, as a result, it falls on the average DFP parent to teach their own DD because that's the best option available.

IMO, many understand, but few can teach effectively, so limiting it to DFP and those with demonstrated swing knowledge AND teaching ability - for a clinic or group, it would be Hitter (with Bustos welcome). For individual lessons, l'd take my chances with Hitter, Tewks, or MTS. And for dessert, I'll have Jay Weaver for catching.

Greenmonster for President!!! That is an awesome answer. And Very ACCURATE !!! My answer is... I take advice from everyone that Post on DFP... weather or not I can put it to use, is based on my abilities... but I have found, that I had better file (every word) it for when it becomes relevant to me in my circumstances , I will have at least been exposed to it, and cautioned, and or even encouraged.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... the bad news is that with this insight it quickly becomes quite clear that most local hitting instructors aren't teaching it, and, as a result, it falls on the average DFP parent to teach their own DD because that's the best option available.

IMO, many understand, but few can teach effectively ...

This is the conclusion that I also have reached. Well stated.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

This should be a sticky. Now, what is the next step for the "average dad" in the teaching process? Which takes us back to post #1.
I'll say one think for the "Teach" he did do clinics going out to various places that was posted for the "dads" and their kids to attend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd