infield throwing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
When I watched the College World Series, it seemed like a lot of the infielders would throw sidearm to first base. It wasn't an extreme, but their arms weren't coming over the top like the outfielders did. I know why the outfielders throw like that (longer distance), but is there a reason why the infielders don't?

Are there certain throwing techniques that work best for infielders because of the shorter distance and the need for a quick release? As a player who plays both infield and outfield, I would like to be able to adjust my throw as I move positions.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Check out the Throwing Thread on the Fielding Section. It has a TON of stuff (actually may have to sort through it a bit).
But one of my post was the same question at the end.....Over the top throwing is one of Baseball Pitching or Outfield Throwing for distance....
However I feel infielders are throwing in a more compact and quick way. I am sure some will have more info on the topic but I think that if you laid out your body weight so much, raked the ball out so big and threw over the top every time you threw from 3rd to 1st the runner would be safe.

Feb 3, 2011
When I watched the College World Series, it seemed like a lot of the infielders would throw sidearm to first base. It wasn't an extreme, but their arms weren't coming over the top like the outfielders did. I know why the outfielders throw like that (longer distance), but is there a reason why the infielders don't?

Are there certain throwing techniques that work best for infielders because of the shorter distance and the need for a quick release? As a player who plays both infield and outfield, I would like to be able to adjust my throw as I move positions.
When you're playing infield, do most batted balls come to you above the waist or below? Every 1/10th of a second counts, so that's why many advanced infielders will use a quick, sidearm throw instead of the conventional overhand release we teach to players in 10u.

Jul 26, 2010
Don't think of the arm being sideways, it isn't really a sidearm throw. Think of the whole body being bent at the waist/pelvis, the same way it is in a good fielding position to receive the ball. The throw is made from this same low position, rather then standing up and then throwing. Experiment on your own in front of a mirror and you'll understand.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG