Illegal pitch/batter hit ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Gotcha. Just trying to figure out why the coaches were ok with what happened in scenario 2.

Hard to say...perhaps the batter was a weak batter and was likely to make an out anyway. As an offensive coach, I am OK with this, given the fact that the umpire screwed up and advanced my runners.

In scenario #2....the offensive coach still has the option of taking the result of the play or the penalty for the illegal pitch.

Play - Batter out, runners stay at second and third.
Penalty - Batter returns to bat, a ball is added to the count, runners advance one base.

It makes more sense to me to take the penalty, but I'm not a coach.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I would have taken the penalty too as the batter hit a hr the at bat before. Not that she would again but I've known her for while and she is a good hitter.

Jan 20, 2009
In #2, you would have an IFF in effect. BR Out, and runners may advance at their own risk - reaching 3B and 2B would stand.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
In #2, you would have an IFF in effect. BR Out, and runners may advance at their own risk - reaching 3B and 2B would stand.

I think we are reading the OP differently....I read it as the umpires allowed the out to stand on the caught fly ball (IFF not withstanding), then advanced the runners because of the illegal pitch.

Had the runners achived a base as a result of their own actions, by tagging up and advancing, then the result of taking the play would be correct. Going back to the OP, it's not clear as to how the runners advanced.

Mar 13, 2010
On an IP? How does that work?
IP is a delayed dead ball call. On DDB calls you let all play conclude (in this case and INF sitch), you then call TIME, confer with your partner(s) and enforce the DDB call....in this sitch an IP.
Keep in mind, (although it didn't happen in this sitch), runners can advance at their own risk on a INF.
So, one possible scenario could be, INF in effect, DDB IP called, batter pops out to F6 (INF batter out), runner at 1B is off the base, as soon as F6 catches the pop-up she throws to F3 get the runner heading back to 1B, throw gets away from F3, the runner who was on 2nd comes around to score.
TIME....OC now has an option, take the result of the play, batter out on INF, a run scored, and a runner still on 1st.....OR take the penalty for the IP, runners on 2nd and 3rd, batter back in the box with a BALL added to her count.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Tony, as I understand the sitch in the OP, the runners advanced to 2nd and 3rd as a result of the umpires awarding them the base on the IP call....not on the INF.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Tony, as I understand the sitch in the OP, the runners advanced to 2nd and 3rd as a result of the umpires awarding them the base on the IP call....not on the INF.

That is the case. Sorry for not being clearer. I didn't consider the INF but not sure I would have (if I were the ump) called it for this particular hit. It was probably 20ft deep into L/CF grass. Just a high pop up though.

The runners advanced due to the IP call and not because of tagging up. The batter did not return to hit and was ruled out. (That is only a guess since I didn't here the conversation and am going by where the batter and base runners ended up after the discussion).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00