If you have 2 minutes to watch DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
My two-cents worth. I really take to heart BM's advice that one should learn to throw underhand properly before working on pitching drills. You would never take a boy and start teaching him to pitch until he can throw a nice three-quarter overhead throw. It would be silly to try. Same for softball, most bowl or push when throwing underhand without being taught. Overhand throws - boys (and girls) will whizz the ball right past their ear (also a push) until someone starts showing them how to whip the ball. Underhand is the same principle, they have to be taught to whip an underhand throw before learning to "pitch." I've taught a number of girls now, it takes about two weeks of solid, nothing else, learning to throw underhand. Watch BM's first gif, it's your starting point.

You'll know when your daughter has it by the spin and spin axis. Everyone says one to seven o'clock (RHP) which is correct, but think about not the ball coming at the catcher but looking at it down from above as it travels from the pitcher to the catcher. One to seven is perfect, two to eight and it starts losing it's gripping power. Take a time out and teach your daughter to throw a proper underhand throw with whip, spin and spin axis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog