If you have 2 minutes to watch DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
My first impression is that this is a girl that needs to find her foundation. I don't see anything in the motion that she has fully figured out yet. Each part seems to be a little off. What I mean by that is often you will see a young pitcher that has a good arm whip, but her drive is weak, or she drives nicely but has a stiff arm. Your DD is still in the formative stages so she is still figuring out how to throw underhand (I am guessing she is 9 or 10?).

I probably sound like a broken record, but at this stage I think the liberty or K drill positions are far more important than the full motion. I have a pretty simplistic view of pitching. There are really just three things you need to do. the first is teach a good arm circle and whip. The second is a drive, the third is synchronizing them. In that order also, although 2 and 3 go together.

So do you have any video of her doing drills without the drive? I think it is really difficult to get a good drive and upper\lower synch if the arm motion is still in the formative stages.

I agree. She just turned 12 (small for her age, as is her twin brother), and lacks coordnation. We're also overcoming a few HE clinics she attended before I found DFP. I can get video of her K drill tonight.

BTW, anyone know how to post a gif? Every time I try, it uploads as a jpeg...

Nov 7, 2014
I agree. She just turned 12 (small for her age, as is her twin brother), and lacks coordnation. We're also overcoming a few HE clinics she attended before I found DFP. I can get video of her K drill tonight.

BTW, anyone know how to post a gif? Every time I try, it uploads as a jpeg...

put .gif on hosting site like tinypic then share the img. code on your post

Jun 18, 2010
My first impression is that this is a girl that needs to find her foundation. I don't see anything in the motion that she has fully figured out yet. Each part seems to be a little off. What I mean by that is often you will see a young pitcher that has a good arm whip, but her drive is weak, or she drives nicely but has a stiff arm. Your DD is still in the formative stages so she is still figuring out how to throw underhand (I am guessing she is 9 or 10?).

I probably sound like a broken record, but at this stage I think the liberty or K drill positions are far more important than the full motion. I have a pretty simplistic view of pitching. There are really just three things you need to do. the first is teach a good arm circle and whip. The second is a drive, the third is synchronizing them. In that order also, although 2 and 3 go together.

So do you have any video of her doing drills without the drive? I think it is really difficult to get a good drive and upper\lower synch if the arm motion is still in the formative stages.

I like this post a lot for outlining the building blocks for beginning pitching.

IMO, she seems preoccupied with getting open versus just letting it happen. BM mentioned this some time ago, and JS provided a formula:

Let's keep it simple... as it is. ;)

Do this:
  1. Stand with both feet slightly apart, side-by-side, and with the feet pointed straight ahead.
  2. Step straight forward (no Gillis crossovers) with your left foot WHILE applying pressure over the right foot little toes (more than your big toe).
  3. Upon completing the step, make sure your weight is over your left foot.
  4. Hold that position... and look at your hip line.
  5. Note how 'open/closed' it is.
Then... Do this:
  1. Stand with both feet slightly apart, side-by-side, and with the feet pointed straight ahead.
  2. SLIGHTLY turn your right foot out... maybe 10-20 degrees.
  3. Step straight forward with your left foot... while applying pressure to your big toe (over it) of your slightly turned-out right foot.
  4. Upon completing the step, make sure your weight is over your left foot.
  5. Hold that position... and look at your hip line.
  6. Note how 'open/closed' it is.
What you should see IF you did this correctly - and took the same length step each time - is:

1) A simple strategy... allowed your hips to open MORE on the second step than the first.

That strategy... of allowing 'toe-out' to happen is what allows you to apply pressure over your big toe more efficiently.

What you learned: By utilizing a better and more natural strategy... your hips open naturally through extension (stepping forward) in the hips.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Whatever you see, if you could offer a drill for addressing the issue it'd be greatly appreciated!

I'm not an expert, just another parent trying to help my DD out.

1. I would review the youtube videos that javasource was so awesome to put out there. They are pasted all over this forum, but for ease here ya go (I have 'em bookmarked!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBvFc-8wWLU&index=1&list=PLcJFoVu9obopSTq0VhX_OMjuxt93UDEZJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUkiavW-o4

We found, personally, that the 2-step drill and then the push-back drills were even more helpful than walk-throughs for getting DD (who is 13) to move forward, instead of up. He really goes into detail on the "pawing" motion, and how to stay off the heels. Good stuff. We threw it up on the big screen and sat around eating popcorn and learning to collectively pitch. I know, don't get out much, huh? DD velocity has noticeably improved. Not so much the accuracy. Having a little problem with getting in sync, so on to the next tool . . .

2. Next, BM's videos and stickies on I/R would be threadbare and dog-eared, were they actual pages in a book. Read them, love them, know them. My DD will go back to the Liberty and show it & throw it drills, even now, if she feels like her arm is stiff or wanting to migrate. Helps with I/R - but still going high, little loose on control. I read like crazy, find notice of . . . :::drumroll::: . ..

3. Rick Pauly. He's an extraordinary dude, in my book. We ordered videos from him - and even though he was travelling, he emailed me and gave me feedback on my DD. So we download the videos, and again with the popcorn. He was personally concerned with my DD's warm-up routine, and made sure he included proper warm-up drills with the vidoes we had ordered. DD "gets" what he's saying, and has made significant progress on her fundamentals since we began watching them 6 weeks ago. We set up an area in our garage to work on location. We ordered the I/R, Brush Resistance, and Location Videos. All good stuff!

Not to mention that some of the greatest (albeit stubborn, from the way it all reads) minds in softball are hanging out on this board, ready to give encouragement and chime in. Occasionally, you'll even see a guard crawl from under a bridge to inquire about the billy goats gruff, too, but that isn't directed at me so I ignore it. ;)

K, so that's where we are in our process. Hope this helps! Good luck, your DD looks adorable (they hate to be called that, don't they?) and I see an athlete in there. :) My DD is late to the game, and not a classic "I've been doing this forever" kind of gal - but determination and stubbornness carry a lot of weight in this sport, so we're just along for the rah-rah. If you find something that works, please message me - I'm always looking, too!

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Well it looks like she has been working hard.

Does she already do any of the I/R drills? 9:00, Liberty, Show it and Throw it? Those should be super helpful for getting consistent arm circle and feeling the arm staying close to the side.

It looks like you chose to take out her back swing, but wonder if it might be helpful for her to try a back swing in some drills to help with her timing and building a powerful drive.

Now you need to tell us what drill it is where you complete the pitch, but don't knock the water bottle over ;)

She has been working pretty hard, for sure. I don't fully get the I/R drills (I've read the threads, checked the gifs), so I'm hesitant to try those just yet through concern for making things worse.

We took out the backswing mainly because the PC feels it's wasted energy. I don't agree or disagree at this point, keeping an open mind.

The "don't kill the bottle" drill is designed to be a reminder to keep her drive foot from turning 90º. If she knocks it over at the start of the drive, she's killed the bottle lol!

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
We are running clinics for a neighboring softball org., and here I am upset about how little and what the PC seems to have transferred to her in the time spent. I am assuming once a week or at least twice a month? In all honesty, I would find another PC. Does the PC demonstrate? A group setting like we have may be an option at this juncture so you know what others are accomplishing/doing in the same amount of time. They can watch each other, as well as the adult pitcher who is demonstrating live. We cover legs and drive from session 1, at the same time as the arm and body.

I sort of feel the same on the progress front. I can see she's gotten much better, but it seems to me like she should be further along. That said, I know my DD, and this is massive progress for her. I'm going to let it play out for a little while longer.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I don't fully get the I/R drills (I've read the threads, checked the gifs), so I'm hesitant to try those just yet through concern for making things worse.

Um..... ....concern for making things worse? Sorry, but I believe those I/R drills are a first step for making things a lot better, and fairly soon.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Um..... ....concern for making things worse? Sorry, but I believe those I/R drills are a first step for making things a lot better, and fairly soon.

I think you misunderstood. I'm concerned that my lack of comprehension of the drills, how they need to work and what I need to be seeing will cause me to make things worse. I know the drills work, I just don't feel competent to be the one teaching them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii