If you had a choice between speed/power vs movement/spin, which would you choose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Speed/Power or Movement/Spin

• Total voters

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
So many more get a shot cause of speed. Usually you can teach spin. You either got speed or you don't.
i agree...
if your daughter is a flame thrower and can throw it faster than most? then you ride that out until she peaks...
if she throws about the same as everyone else? maybe you want to see if she picks up a good spin pitch? pitching is not "one size fits all"!!!!

Jul 26, 2010
A coach teaching something, or claiming to teach something, does not mean the student will or is capable of learning whatever it is they're teaching.

Don't pay attention to the marketing hype, he/she just wants to take your money.

-W

Oct 22, 2009
i agree...
if your daughter is a flame thrower and can throw it faster than most? then you ride that out until she peaks...
if she throws about the same as everyone else? maybe you want to see if she picks up a good spin pitch? pitching is not "one size fits all"!!!!

Which is why I teach my pokey pitchers to SPIN the ball!

Jul 10, 2011
I agree with Humpty. Girls can put in the practice hours to develop spin but will eventually hit a wall on speed no matter how much they practice. Speed is speed.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Clarification - coach on new team does NOT charge his players for lessons with him. The team is sponsored by Louisville and the coaches are paid NOTHING. They truly do it out of passion for the sport (44 years of experience between the two coaches on this team).

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Sounds like you are looking at this backwards. If the new coach and team is a great fit then you take the new pc and his approach. If hes good enough to teach some of the games greats then Id like to think it would be an honor for your dd.

It sounds like your dd has an opportunity to be part of a great team that is 'two levels above her current team" as you put it. Dont hold her back on a technicality. Especially if she has college ambitions-contacts are HUGE in this game and sounds like this coach has them.

What does she say-does she even care about the item your hung up on in your OP? If not then you have your answer!

Mar 28, 2013
We concentrate on spin and drive with the legs and core. In my experience if they are working on spinning the ball hard with a emphasis on good IR they naturally throw hard with very good speed along with movement.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2012
DD's pitching coach is in ASA softball HOF... He states "Spin and movement are a necessity, speed is a luxury"... Obviously we constantly try to improve both speed and spin.. But a flat fastball eventually will be hit

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
I agree with Humpty. Girls can put in the practice hours to develop spin but will eventually hit a wall on speed no matter how much they practice. Speed is speed.
they hit the wall on everything,spin,speed...
but then you still work on getting better,through knowledge.
there is always something you can try to do better. that's why there are so many different pitchers in the game. and lets face it,your always gonna try to throw harder, or spin the ball more.if not you will stop getting better. girls that have great spin,learn to spin it to a great spot. and if the coach has a reputation of working with great pitchers? he will know where your daughter needs to be...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC