"If you can't hit your own self tossed ball with same swing as in game, then...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Two very different things... they're comparing apples to oranges here. My dd can hit anything I chuck at her all day long, but can't self toss herself to save her life.
I'm not sure I get the coaches reference to hitting one handed with a fielders glove on. I do it every single practice and warm up.

The point was that a majority of them, at least around here don't have that skillset and can't do it. They never practiced it. Should we belittle the HS coaches around here since most rec/TB coaches I know can do it? That's why I called him an idiot. For belittling one of his players because she was unable to immediately grasp a skill which she has never practiced.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I doubt that many on my 18U team could do it. If asked they would probably quickly point out that it is the coaches job. :)

Maybe when the season starts I integrate it into our hitting practice? Worse case we will have some good laughs.

Dec 2, 2010
Interesting conversation. Think it`s a skill girls just don`t ever work on. But yep as a kid I must have hit a million various objects "self toss".
After DD practice I`ll hit her extra ground balls and then we`ll switch ( I still play adult baseball and softball so need some practice too ) and she really struggled at first but now loves to try and hit balls I can`t get to. I think it`s a valuable skill but would never berate a player for not being able to do it. Might be fun to have the other girls on the team try do it next practice just for laughs...

Aug 5, 2012
I'll preface this by stating that I'm FAR from a technical hitting guru. Growing up, I was lucky enough to just kinda "get it" when it came to baseball. I'm learning (slowly) the technicalities, thanks to this board. That said, I wish more kids would pick up a ball, toss it up, and hit it. After a good toss, the first movement is the pinch/stretch/load...whatever it is you want to call it. Do that a hundred times in an afternoon and, as long as you aren't creating other bad habits, I can't see where it hurts. I'd rate it higher than tee work just for the fact that you're tracking a moving object. The belittling part, however, I'd have a HUGE problem with...and I believe it's just reared its ugly head on our HS team as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles