Ice, good or bad?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2011
For me, what stood out the most in that whole article, was the section on protein production spiking in the evening and the healing process was at its peak during sleep. This was supported by my DD doctor, saying to drink a protein shake at night before bed. Both of my kids do this, and I must say, they saw immediate returns on muscle recovery/healing.

Feb 7, 2013
I may have posted this here before, and have posted on other sites when this discussion has come up. My daughter was never a pitcher but suffered a posterior labrum tear her senior year of high school. She had shoulder reconstruction to repair the labrum and clean up a partial rotator cuff tear during the fall of her freshman year of college and was cleared to play by her orthopedic surgeon late that February. I was in the exam room when she was given the clearance to play and his instructions were very specific. She was told to know her limits, never excede her limits and to ALWAYS ice her shoulder after any throwing activity.

And this example supports my theory that you ice for injuries (or if you have a chrionic injury) to reduce the swelling that might occur. But than again maybe ice use for general soreness and fatigue from normal pitching doesn't hurt anyone just like doing isolated wrist flicks may not do any long term harm to the pitching motion....

Mar 9, 2015
When my DD attended college team camps, individual clinics, etc, seems like all the players were icing down arms, knees, etc. One player said there was a dedicated ice machine in the locker room area. When my DD is done with her catching lessons, she uses the pro-ice shoulder/elbow wrap on our way home, which is about 15 minutes from the house. If she has a long day of softball, will ice down after the final game is done.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
All I know is it is so good for me. (Ice) I let others make up their own mind. I have iced my shoulder, today - because I didn't yesterday and now, I pay the price. I also swear by kinesiology tape.
Never leave home without KT Tape or Liniment.
133ff3a85f28088c5a3108ff6b6995ea.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad