I would like to start my own 14U softball team but need help on how to get started.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
I live in the Seattle, WA area and really want to start my own 14U softball team. I played as a kid and I've been coaching my daughter for many years in little league. She wants to start playing ASA and I've always wanted to coach an ASA team. I need help on how to start up your own team.

Do you have to have your 12 girls before you go register your team? How do I see what all the fees are? Where do I go to get information about starting up a team?

Any help you can give me is much appreciated!

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
There are a boatload of teams already out there, why not put your girl on a team for this year and see how things are done.
ASA of Washington - Teams Looking For Players

Agree! Have your daughter play for a team this coming season. Volunteer to help out and learn the ropes. If you are still interested you will have gained a wealth of knowledge. Typically the hardest thing when running (or starting) a travel team is getting talented girls to play for your team. Since you will be starting fresh that would be nearly impossible to find 12 girls (with talent) that aren't already playing for a travel team.

-Tom

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
The way it usually happens is to take a rec team that loaded with talent ( maybe if you coached all stars?) and the girls want to keep playing together, then you start playing tournaments on weekends during the summer. If all goes well and they are competetive, then you move up to A level and play ASA qualifiers with the goal of going to Nationals. It's not something that just happens overnite. You have to build a reputation of being a serious team to have a chance for talented players to come to your tryouts. It would be no fun at all to start a team and have 5 or 6 average players and no pitchers show up at try out.

If you already have a couple of players, it may be to your advantage to find a team looking for more players and offer to merge together and help out as an assistant coach. This would give you the opportunity to see how things are done as chinamigarden and coach Tom mentioned.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Xtina--

Don't. Please, don't. There are a million bad 14U teams out there already. If your DD is any kind of player, you need to find an established team for her to join. Your attempt to create a team, especially in Washington state, is doomed.

If you want to coach, wait until your DD is 18YOA, and then start coaching a 14U team.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
There are so many new TB programs popping up that it is scary.
Pitching is watered down and there are lots of bad teams. We beat up on
a team last week in seeding then in elimination 14-0 and 11-1

Oct 19, 2009
Agree with Sluggers with one exception. If you're going to start when dd is 18, start with a 9 or 10u team.

Jan 15, 2009
First find some rusty barbed wire and rub it accross your gums for about 30 minutes. If you find that enjoyable you should definitely start your own team. On a more serious note, if your at the point where your asking these questions and it's spring, you should find a team to join this year and figure out the details before taking a swing at it next year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid