HS Softball team is terrible

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I've been coaching HS varsity and travel for 18 years, and three things come to mind:

1. While anything is possible, don't hold your breath hoping that maybe a catcher will move into the school district. Possible? Sure. Worth even thinking about as a solution? Uhh...no.

2. In our area, where fastpitch flourishes, I've always maintained that you can rank the varsity teams by how many starters play travel, and then counting up how many years each of those starters has been playing travel. The teams that have 3 or 4 might as well skip the season, since they have no chance to have a winning record. The years my varsity team has had 3 or 4 (like last year), we go something like 4-16 against the schools we play. The few years we've had most or all of our starters play travel, we've set school records, (although have never advanced to States).

3. While many of the travel coaches look down at the high school teams (they are inferior to some of their high level travel teams), I always find it interesting when the two neighboring powerhouses play each other every year in a Friday night game under the lights, you can't get near the field! The place is packed! There is just something about the HS experience that carries a wider interest for the community at large, whereas tournament onlookers are almost always family or fast pitch enthusiasts.

Allow your daughter to enjoy the fast pitch experience. She'll be fine regardless of whether or not a catcher materializes in your school district.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
the DD is a HS freshman attending a private school, which traditionally fields competitve sports teams. Last season, the softball team had a very down year , due to the graduation of their starting pitcher and catcher.

The softball coach is beyond thrilled this years' freshman class includes 2 club softball pitchers (DD & the girl who will be the #1) and a catcher. #1 & DD will complement one another as the #1 is a power pitcher while the DD's two best pitches are her drop curve and change-up.......and the only way DD can throw a 60 MPH pitch is if she is throwing down hill and downwind in a hurricaine.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I still find it hard to believe how many girls are throwing in
the 60's. Around here, they throw in the 60's at 10U, by the time they
reach HS, most are in the mid to upper 70's with at least 6 pitches thrown
effectively. (All of this is according to their dads of course)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had a C that did not like catching because the P threw to fast, she survive the season for us. Next year came in not wanting to C. I told her that that was fine and that I would work her into another position. 2nd practice, mentioned to her that if she caught she would play most the game her response was. “What do you mean? I told you I wanted to catch again this year.”

Usually things like this seem to work themselves out. If there is playing time available someone will work to earn it. I know that there are exceptions but not very often.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Do what they do around here, if your daughter is good and going to attend a school with a not-so-good softball team, move to a school with a good team.

Also, if your school district is that bad, I wouldn't count on a good catcher moving there. If they are that serious about softball, they won't move into your district.

Short of that -
If there is anyone in your daughter's grade (or close to it) that wants to catch, ask them if they'll catch your daughter during her pitching practices. If they really want to catch, they'll eventually "catch on" (pun intended). At that point, they may even want to take lessons as a catcher and the next thing you know, she'll have at least a solid catcher.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
There is nothing in the softball world (OK, that's not true) that ticks me off more than a good player moving (more commonly using Aunt Jane's address) so she can play softball for a HS with a better team.

Jan 13, 2010
[
2. In our area, where fastpitch flourishes, I've always maintained that you can rank the varsity teams by how many starters play travel, and then counting up how many years each of those starters has been playing travel. The teams that have 3 or 4 might as well skip the season, since they have no chance to have a winning record. The years my varsity team has had 3 or 4 (like last year), we go something like 4-16 against the schools we play. The few years we've had most or all of our starters play travel, we've set school records, (although have never advanced to States).

3. While many of the travel coaches look down at the high school teams (they are inferior to some of their high level travel teams), I always find it interesting when the two neighboring powerhouses play each other every year in a Friday night game under the lights, you can't get near the field! The place is packed! There is just something about the HS experience that carries a wider interest for the community at large, whereas tournament onlookers are almost always family or fast pitch enthusiasts.

Allow your daughter to enjoy the fast pitch experience. She'll be fine regardless of whether or not a catcher materializes in your school district.[/QUOTE]

#3 is what I am talking about. Not sure softball around this area will ever draw a crowd like that, but a winning HS team is alot different than a winning TB team.

Jan 13, 2010
Coach n Dad...i feel the same way...until i thought about it some. I still don't like it but i can understand it. Haven't most of us pulled our DD off the rec teams to be on better teams, or changed rec councils....moved on from LL to play travel. I know I have. Is changing HS all that much different?
Most of the better football and BB players around here get recruited by the private schools but those that stay in the public system usually end up switching HS to play with a better team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA