HS softball and class schedule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I'd like to get an idea of the experience of student athletes in other areas of the country. During the high school softball season, DD routinely misses her last, and often second to last, class period of the day. This translates into an attendance record of 25% during the season. She works with her teachers on a case by case basis to make up the work; however, I am concerned about next year when DD's courseload will include many honors and AP classes. One of DD's teammates had to drop her last period AP class - it was offered only during the last period of the day. I know that scheduling sacrifices definitely have to be made for college (my biggest challenge was chemistry labs), but I wish they didn't have to make these kinds of choices in high school.

Have others found this to be the case or have your daughters found that they rarely miss school for their sports?

Jun 21, 2010
My DD hasn't started her HS softball season yet. But from my observation of the other girls I know, they start practice immediately after school. They lose classroom time when they travel, or have games at home--home games start at 3 and they have to be over at the fields early for warmups. My son did XC and track for four years in HS and it was like that for him as well.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm curious as to how you get an attendance record of 25%. We have games on Tuesdays and Thursdays here, one home and one away per week. Usually the girls miss their last and sometimes last 2 classes once per week, and miss half of their last period the other day. They're still in class 3 days out of 5 per normal.

Yes, sacrifices have to be made, and it requires greater effort and attention on the part of the student-athlete. Never let them loose sight of which word comes first in student-athlete though.

In some areas of the country, schools have a jock-freebie class for the last period that usually includes some type of study hall or weight training, where the kids actually begin practice for their sport during this period. We don't have that at our school or in most schools here in California save a few that I'm aware of.

-W

Jun 24, 2013
goingdeep has a cute picture of all the softball players sleeping intertwined in study hall, I cannot find it.

I am sure he will chip in.

Dec 7, 2011
My DD hasn't started her HS softball season yet. But from my observation of the other girls I know, they start practice immediately after school. They lose classroom time when they travel, or have games at home--home games start at 3 and they have to be over at the fields early for warmups. My son did XC and track for four years in HS and it was like that for him as well.

Yup, same here.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Our players never get out early for softball or any sport. It's a rarity if they do, just for playoffs and only when they have to. Games start at 4:30. Practice never starts before the end of the school day.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I'm curious as to how you get an attendance record of 25%. We have games on Tuesdays and Thursdays here, one home and one away per week. Usually the girls miss their last and sometimes last 2 classes once per week, and miss half of their last period the other day. They're still in class 3 days out of 5 per normal.

-W

Our HS has variable scheduling - thus most classes meet four days per week instead of five. The girls get out of school early for home games and away games. There were several three-game weeks, thus the 25% (and as luck would have it they didn't play on the one day that that the class didn't meet). Thanks for eveyone's responses so far. DD handled the missed time by meeting personally with her teachers and scheduling make-ups for tests and things. Have others of you found that your daughters handle the missed time on a case by case basis or do any of your schools have specific policies for kids involved in athletics and activities?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Our players never get out early for softball or any sport. It's a rarity if they do, just for playoffs and only when they have to. Games start at 4:30. Practice never starts before the end of the school day.

Really??? You have no away games?

Ours is much like Star's... games Tues/Thurs, our furthest regular season away game is about 1 hr. Games start at 5, the team arrives about 3:30 to begin warm ups, that means they leave school about 2:15-2:30 so typically players miss all of last period, and part of 2nd to last. And Yes they have to make up missed work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii