HS Opening Day in GA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2015
Yes I'd say Ohio would have a lot less rain outs in the fall but Ohio would have to change the high school rule that you can't play with your travel team and that isn't going to happen!!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Yes I'd say Ohio would have a lot less rain outs in the fall but Ohio would have to change the high school rule that you can't play with your travel team and that isn't going to happen!!!

Fall HS ball starts right after Nationals, so it is a good time to transition. TB teams have tryouts on the weekends for next season, but TB teams do not start playing together until Nov and typically play 2-3 tournaments in Nov, then shut down Thanksgiving - New Years. The great thing is TB practices start in January (indoor workouts in GA) and run through the end of July. With this schedule we get 8 months of TB, 3 months of HS and one month of rest.

Jan - July TB
Aug - Oct HS ball
Nov - TB
Dec - rest

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I think that HS fall ball could lead to more travel girls playing it as it would lead into a period of downtime before getting ready for spring travel. As it is now, high school leads into summer travel which is not always a good thing depending on your school.

Dec 19, 2012
My dd's schedule in Ohio before graduating HS:

Aug - TB tryouts/Practice
Sep-Nov - TB Fall Tournaments/Practice
Dec-Jan - TB indoor hitting (1st 2 weeks in December only)
Feb-May - HS tryouts/practice/games
June-Jul - TB Summer tournaments

I'm fine with softball being a spring sport in Ohio. College coaches will go to TB tournaments in the fall more often than they will attend HS games due to the sheer number of kids of interest at one place.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
First week of high school ball won two conference games beat cross town rival 11 to 1 last night.
TB tryouts -8-16-15
August-Nov High school Softball
Nov Travel ball 2 tournaments
Nov-Feb High School Basketball and individual softball work
January - February tournament ball practice indoors
March-august Travel ball tournaments and practice

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
Official mandatory practices can begin 8/1 in GA for HS. Tryouts used. To be at same time. As of 2015, HS can tryout in May, but practices aren't mandatory until the 8/1 date.

Apr 1, 2010
Fall HS ball starts right after Nationals, so it is a good time to transition. TB teams have tryouts on the weekends for next season, but TB teams do not start playing together until Nov and typically play 2-3 tournaments in Nov, then shut down Thanksgiving - New Years. The great thing is TB practices start in January (indoor workouts in GA) and run through the end of July. With this schedule we get 8 months of TB, 3 months of HS and one month of rest.

Jan - July TB
Aug - Oct HS ball
Nov - TB
Dec - rest

Yes, that's pretty much how it works here in Missouri. It does limit tryout season, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. ;-)

Apr 1, 2010
When do you start practices for high school?

DD's HS tryouts started August 3rd this year. They played their first "games" last night--a warm-up round robin. Lost all three. After graduating 7 starting seniors last year, they've got a lot of underclassmen on the roster. Things might be a little bumpy for a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz