How'd your tryouts go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Tryouts went well for both my DD's. My younger one got on a better 16U team and is really excited to play on this team. This past summer she was on .... how do I say it.....a pretty bad team, and she was the top kid on the team (what the coach said to her) so she got a phone call from her new coach to come to tryouts and that coach said that he's watched her on occasion and said the same about being the top kid on the team.

As for my older DD she returns to her 18 Gold team as she is part of the core group on that team after she heals up from breaking her arm AT PGF a few weeks ago ( was slapping and got a high inside pitch that hit her on the arm) good thing we won't start up again until end of Sept. As coach thought we should have a little time off.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Our daughter did really great at her tryouts and was offered a spot on each team she tried out for (4). I am very proud of her! We are very happy with the choice and think it will be great for her development. However, we recently became aware that the roster will be 2 people more than what we were originally told (13 vs. 11) - would have been happier with smaller roster but at 16U larger numbers may be more common. It's just a surprise especially because of what we were originally told and we just learned this and so we are dealing wtih this and trying to sort out how we feel about it. And I agree with other posts that it is hard to tell coaches who offered 'no' and also hard to leave the old team!

13 players on a 16U roster is small around here.

Apr 29, 2013
My daughter went to tryouts for a certain team in our area and the coach couldn't be bothered with notifying the players he didn't pick. We were left twisting in the wind and had to figure it out ourselves that she didn't make the team. Fortunately, this was her second pick, and she actually did get chosen by her first pick. But honestly, what kind of coach doesn't get in touch with the people who attended his tryout to let them know their status? I'm glad my daughter didn't get picked because I don't think I'd want her to play for someone like that, in hindsight.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My daughter went to tryouts for a certain team in our area and the coach couldn't be bothered with notifying the players he didn't pick. We were left twisting in the wind and had to figure it out ourselves that she didn't make the team. Fortunately, this was her second pick, and she actually did get chosen by her first pick. But honestly, what kind of coach doesn't get in touch with the people who attended his tryout to let them know their status? I'm glad my daughter didn't get picked because I don't think I'd want her to play for someone like that, in hindsight.

Unless he as a certain number of girls in reserve, in case the girls he picked turn him down. That being said, most of the coaches I know call the girls who DIDN'T make the team BEFORE they call the girls who did. In one case DD #1 was very upset when she made a team and her BFF did not, and was threatening not to play. It turns out her BFF already knew, and was supportive of DD playing on the team, and even watched a game or two.

Sep 11, 2013
DD aged out of her TB team from last season. It was her first year playing TB. She never attended tryouts last year, was invited to a couple of practices last fall as they needed to fill a few roster spots and was offered a position. So this is her first tryout season and I was hoping to take her to 4 different ones. DD wanted to only attend the one that her current organization was holding, but one team is an A team looking for 3 spots and DD is not at that level. The other team is basically rec level (she'd like to play B or a decent C) and will move up next year and she'll be looking for another team once again. I dragged her to another organization's tryout and she had a great time, hit it off with the coaches and other girls and I just took her for a second look tryout requested by them this afternoon. I'm a little nervous that she didn't just get offered a spot, but still hopeful. DD doesn't want to attend any other tryouts, but I'm pushing for at least one more so she has some options if they don't offer her a spot. I too will be happy when this tryout period is over and she is happily back to practices with a new TB family!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
went well....our org didn't get a good turnout at 12s and 10s though so coach is going to have to corral a few more girls for the new 2004 and 2002 teams. Weird because the 2001 team finished top 15 at PGF so I thought there would be a lot more young girls there. That team moving up to 14s looked fierce. Older DD will be working out with them until the rest of the 12 team gets going.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Pushing DD to explore other options, but she's content with a guarantee of a spot at the current org, even though one of the two teams looks like a lifeboat full of random position players(big turnover and small turnout for that one). Hard to blame her, it's been a new team every season for a while now.

Did not get DD to try more prominent org's, but the "island of misfit toys" shaped into a pretty solid looking team with a solid schedule, two big concerns (of mine) alleviated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd