How'd your tryouts go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
DD had planned to tryout for her "dream team" this year but when we heard they weren't having tryouts because they weren't losing any members, we had to look elsewhere. She did try out for their other 18U-A team but when they said they were cutting down their schedule and only doing local tournaments we decided it wasn't the right fit. We had sent her profile to another very good team and they had already had their tryouts, but didn't pick up anyone. They liked what they saw, asked her to do a private and they offered her a spot on their 12 man roster. This team split games with her former "dream team" this summer with 1 run losses. The downside is that it isn't any closer to our house and the current 3rd baseman plays in college. In fact they have 4 college girls but none of them can play in the fall. They play a grueling schedule and all the girls have to play 2 positions at each tournament. One exciting thing is that DD will get free catching lessons which will help offset this team being so much more expensive. At the moment, they think she will mainly be at 3rd and second. I hope we made a good choice!
How'd your's go?

Jun 7, 2013
In spite of daddy-ball problems, etc., in the past, both my DDs wanted to stay with the local organization because they want to play with their friends. My oldest DD, who is a second year 16U, made her first "A" team and was quite excited to say the least. My youngest DD, first year 14U, was placed on the "B" team. There was disappointment and a feeling of unfairness but her best friends are on the team and that stifled the blow.

Since our local organization doesn't--currently, at least--have an 18U team my oldest DD will be looking elsewhere for her next gig. My youngest DD could go either way but I am encouraging her to expand her possible selections even if her friends aren't on the team. Besides, she'll make some new ones!

Jul 22, 2013
Well, we are at a much earlier stage than you (12U) but my daughter is over the moon thrilled as she was offered a spot on her "dream team". She will be playing legit A level ball for the first time so she will get limited catching (some but probably some 1st and outfield duties. She is so excited to become a better softball player and being surrounded by players who for the most part are better than her and also solid coaching. I'm so proud of her for working towards a goal for the last 2 years and achieving her first goal. Next stop is to become a Sunday starter by some point in the spring/summer. Filled with nerves and excitement for the upcoming season.

Nov 3, 2012
My DD wanted to test the water this year and we tryed out for 5 teams. My DD is a 2nd year 14U but we did try out with one 16U team. We decided to travel a little bit and chose one of the premier programs in our state. We know its a little risky where she might not get as much playing time, but we felt the competitive environment would help her more. Our goal this year was to get her on a strong team that will play at a competitive level as we have goals to play at the college level. We've played on average B teams the last two years which was good for her, but we wanted something different this time.

My daughter actually enjoyed the tryouts and she wasnt as nervous this year as in the past, and performed well in all of them. The worst part of trying out with as many teams is we have to say "no" to the coaches offering us spots. I always feel bad about that, but thats the nature of the beast.

Oct 10, 2011
My DD wanted to test the water this year and we tryed out for 5 teams. My DD is a 2nd year 14U but we did try out with one 16U team. We decided to travel a little bit and chose one of the premier programs in our state. We know its a little risky where she might not get as much playing time, but we felt the competitive environment would help her more. Our goal this year was to get her on a strong team that will play at a competitive level as we have goals to play at the college level. We've played on average B teams the last two years which was good for her, but we wanted something different this time.

My daughter actually enjoyed the tryouts and she wasnt as nervous this year as in the past, and performed well in all of them. The worst part of trying out with as many teams is we have to say "no" to the coaches offering us spots. I always feel bad about that, but thats the nature of the beast.
It also feels terrible saying goodbye to the old team!

Nov 3, 2012
It also feels terrible saying goodbye to the old team!

Totally agreed on that. Im also seeing the phenomon of player turnover. A lot of girls our jumping ship for greener pastures. So not that many girls left on the old team. This seems to get worse every year. I guess Im guilty of that myself.

May 17, 2012
I have 11 girls committed. Still looking for another catcher. If I could do it all over again I would have made my daughter a catcher.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD stayed with old team...but waiting on roster for 2014-2015 season to be posted (said it would be posted last night). She still had to tryout so anything can happen. Would like closure on the "tryout" phase and move on to practices/games!

Edited to add that it was a weird tryout...not all girls present were required to run the drills, but DD was asked to do most (except pitching). Found out later that they had college coaches watching via Gamecam and a couple sitting in the 1B bleachers (we were all in the 3B bleachers). One college told coach he really liked DD - she hit and fielded very well, but wanted to see her pitch. Coach told DD they will set up another time for them to watch. :) Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1