how would you handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I could not imagine doing something like that to one of my pitchers. It is really a punk move. Like Cannonball said he was sending some type of message. Personally I prefer on those rare occasions where things are not working out to just sit down and explain that it is not a good fit and it is best for all concerned to move on. Part on good terms and find some place new where she will be appreciated.

Feb 3, 2011
I can tell some folks don't play abcs and qualifiers like we do around here or you must live in a rural area with friendlies, be in all stars, or be in 10u that is running in the early spring without rosters locking. Maybe it is easy to get a berth in your area or something....

Read the asa roster you sign.

Or maybe you're just wrong. There's nothing on the ASA waiver and liability form where a player must swear allegiance to one team and one team only during the course of a season.

Rosters are locked for ASA CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY the same way here in Norcal as they are anywhere else. The qualifiers for ASA Nationals are on different weekends during the summer. Most regions have several weeks between their qualifiers and Nationals and most teams are still entering tournaments during that gap. A team that's headed for ASA Nationals may very well play additional tournaments using guest players who are not on their championship roster.

Your local tourneys may operate differently, but nationally, NSA and USSSA also have open rosters for a majority of their events.

May 7, 2014
Thanks so much every one for your awesome feedback! I will be looking to switch teams this upcoming tryouts season.

Jul 26, 2010
The alternative lesson to teach his DD would have been to call in sick to work so he can have her on time to please the coach. Remember that he was working to provide for his family, the #1 priority of a father, not on a doughnut run to Krispy Kreme.

Providing for the family also includes networking and finding the resources necessary to do so. Like the saying goes, "it takes a village". Softball teams are family, and it's a shame no one could pick the kid up and give her a ride to the game, or that she couldn't spend the night at a teammates house so she could be dropped off the night before.

The player made the commitment, not the parent. The ownership is on the player to find a way to be responsible.

-W

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Providing for the family also includes networking and finding the resources necessary to do so. Like the saying goes, "it takes a village". Softball teams are family, and it's a shame no one could pick the kid up and give her a ride to the game, or that she couldn't spend the night at a teammates house so she could be dropped off the night before.

The player made the commitment, not the parent. The ownership is on the player to find a way to be responsible.

-W

I agree with the majority of your sentiment.

However, I do have to give a wide brush stroke to the "player made the commitment part". This really depends on what age we are talking about. I don't recall what age bracket this is. I would have to put the parent as responsible for getting the kids to the field on time until 14U and above. Even at 14U it would be on a case by case basis. I try to always remind myself that these are kids playing a game!

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
As to having a player participate in a tournament as part of they tryout process, that is the way it is done in the real world. I want to see the dynamic first hand between the new player and my team. That does not happen during a practice. Unless the player is a known quantity I usually go several practices and a couple tournaments before extending an offer.

Curious how that dynamic works out, given that at least a couple of the kids in the dugout must suspect that you are auditioning their replacements.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Curious how that dynamic works out, given that at least a couple of the kids in the dugout must suspect that you are auditioning their replacements.

We are structured similar to a college team with players spanning about 4 years. As players go to college and "age out" we bring in new younger players each fall. Then the college players return the following summer to augment our roster and provide first hand knowledge to the younger players regarding the college softball experience. This year is unusual as we will lose 5 players so we are currently going through the process to select players to join us after ASA/USA Nationals.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
We are structured similar to a college team with players spanning about 4 years. As players go to college and "age out" we bring in new younger players each fall. Then the college players return the following summer to augment our roster and provide first hand knowledge to the younger players regarding the college softball experience. This year is unusual as we will lose 5 players so we are currently going through the process to select players to join us after ASA/USA Nationals.

Ah, now I get it. I was looking at it from an "we're looking to upgrade mid-season" perspective. Couldn't imagine too many girls would be well-received under that scenario.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse