How to stop the shot put throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
I am a first year HC of a 12u rec team. I have been lurking here for some time and appreciate all of the information and need a suggestion for a huge pet peeve of mine. For lack of a better terrm, almost all of the girls throw with a shot put approach...elbow down, facing straight at the target. (Throwing like a girl, maybe?)

During our warm up throws, I go over and over that they need to be facing sideways with their glove pointing at the target and their throwing elbow up and the ball facing backwards with the arm extended and before they fire they need to pull the glove in and after they let go of the ball, follow through and not stop their motion. I teach the dreaded L just so they get their arm up when throwing otherwise, they all throw from the top of their shoulder.

We break it all down into slow motion and then gradually get up to full speed and they are Ok when I am walking up and down the line correcting, but as soon as we start fielding and throwing it all falls apart and they are back to shot putting rainbows to first base.

Do we just keep going over it every practice and hope that eventually it will sink it?

Apr 13, 2013
Mostly you are mentioning their arms, work on their footwork first. Their footwork gets them sideways to the Target. Even warming up make sure they take a crow hop or step with their back foot towards the target then a step towards their target with their front foot.

“Love your glove” is a great queue for players to stop swimming when throwing the ball.

Edit:

Fixing a throwing motion is frustrating, just shave your head now and save yourself the trouble of pulling it all out.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
reps, reps and more reps.

A lot of times things break down at game speed.

One queue I like to use to get their hand in the proper throwing position from the break is "thumb to thigh, fingers to the sky" helps to cut down on the pushing the ball or shot putting.

Though like HBP mentions it's often a problem with the footwork that sets up the shot put throw.

May 17, 2012
It's agreed that foot work is the issue. Throwing "like a girl" isn't a bad thing as long as they have the correct footwork to go with it. Watch a college game sometime they are not throwing the ball like the boys do but they do it for a reason (speed).

Left foot forward (loooong stride) when they receive the ball. As the right foot comes forward (and lands) the ball should be in the throwing position (up by the ear, this depends on the distance. Pull back for longer throws). The inside of the right foot should point towards the target. Follow through with the left foot and release.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Foot work first... then make sure the body gets sideways (open) keep the elbow higher than the shoulder and the palm facing away from the body. This will ensure proper rotation while the ball comes over the top. Look for a good 12/6 backspin ball rotation

Feb 3, 2011
With respect to teaching girls how to get the upper body moving in the right direction, I do believe in the occasional use of training aids like a swim noodle (which is slammed to the ground) or a small length of rope that's knotted on both ends.

Oct 7, 2012
Well thanks again Guys and Gals . I have learned some new drills . I to have pulled my hair out watching the young team throw incorectly hurting thier arms ,and thier bodies. I was suprised to understand that the holy grale of throwing drills like wrist flick actually encouraged a bad habbit. So much for that drill . I am very fond of the bat drill I viewed .I believe it will find a place in my throwing drills. Thanks again!!!! Leaders.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1