How to select the correct bat when the lengths and drop weights are similar

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2013
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and looking forward to some softball talk. Please bare with me if my questions have been asked a million times. Here's my first question for the board. I have the dilemna of not being able to try bats so selecting a bat is always my best guess for my daughter. Here's what I get caught up on. Let's say you have a Demarini CF5, and they make it in various lengths and drop weights. What are the differences in how the bat feels or swings if it's a 32-23 (-9) versus a 33-23 (-10)? These seem like they would be very close to the same, but I'm sure there must be differences that experienced hitters understand and can explain. My daughter currently swings bats that are 32-22, and I think she could use a bit more bat. She's not a homerun hitter. She has a quick bat and hits singles and occcasional extra base hits.
Thanks

Apr 1, 2010
I'm sure the real experts will weigh in soon, but since I'm here, I'll give you an opinion for what it's worth. I'm assuming her current CF5 is the balanced version, not the end-loaded Insane...

If the 32-23 (-9) is not end-loaded, it should be less of a change than going to the 33-23 (-10). (Only adding a little weight, not changing both.) Usually, however, it's the power hitters who will be swinging a -9. By the time a contact hitter is ready for more weight, she's usually gotten taller and is ready for more length too. If the 32-23 (-9) is end-loaded, that would be a bigger change for her. I think if she's doing well with a balanced bat and isn't trying to hit bombs anyway, why not just stay with balanced?

Can you have her swing her teammates' bats and see what feels good to her? A 33-23 of one brand may feel completely different from another brand.

If you know anyone with a pocket radar, you can have a science experiment. Set her up with a tee and several bats (including her old one) and get an average ball exit speed for each bat. The ball exit speed depends on both bat weight and swing speed. You don't want to sacrifice too much swing speed for weight and you don't want to sacrifice too much weight for swing speed.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
I cannot figure this out and have talked to a lot of experts, if you can please let me know.

Pick a bat she likes, how is that for the most non helpful post.

Jun 27, 2013
Thanks for the replies. I'll add some more information for you. She swings balanced bats. She's swung a few of her friends end loaded versions and I can visually see that her bat speed drops. It looks like the head of the bat drags, if that makes any sense. She'll be staying with balanced bats. My dauther swings the balanced 32-22 bats very well. I'm very pleased with her bat speed. It sounds like if I'm looking for just a bit more bat, then I should go with a 32-23 (-9), and if I want to go up a bit more than that, I should look at going with some extra length (33-23) and staying with -10. Does that seem reasonable?

Apr 1, 2010
It seems reasonable, but nothing is as helpful as having her actually swinging a bunch of bats and seeing which works best for her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1