How to make these girls hit the ball?? 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Sydney Australia
I could be totally wrong here, but 9u I think it should be all about "how to". Take away any pressure to WIN (I know mums and dads pay a lot and want results) let the team love the game and get good at it through passion and constructive, positive coaching.

May 16, 2016
One drill I've used with success is what I call the skinny bat.

During batting practice, if there is a second cage open, I'll start my 10u players in cage one with the skinny bat. This involves a 1" diameter training bat (I use Skilz Quick Stick, but there are other brands) which weighs only 12ozs, and plastic baseball size balls. The bat came with a few golf ball size balls, but I think for 10u, the plastic baseball is perfect size. I used solid balls, but wiffle balls would probably work just as well. I start off throwing slowly, and build up speed as they start hitting the ball. Very few players start off believing they will be able to make contact using the thin bat and the smaller balls, but by the end of their first session, most are crushing the ball, and you can see their confidence building pretty quickly.

Once they complete a bucket of balls using the Skinny bat, they move to cage two, and regular BP. Working this into your weekly practice routine, should produce positive results in just a few weeks.

Things this drill helps with:

1. Confidence!!! The realization they can make solid contact with a 1" diameter bat, and a smaller ball is a huge confidence builder, which carries over to the game.
2. Hand eye coordination.
3. Bat speed.

I also work with my kids in the back yard. The plastic balls to not carry very far, so you don't need a lot of space, and my kids really enjoy this drill.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I have found that in a lot cases, the girls are afraid of swinging at a bad pitch. You and all the parents need to accept that swinging at a bad pitch is better the. Watching strikes down the middle. Let them swing the bat without fear of being yelled at. Once they start to gain confidence, then you can work on pitch selection.

Coogan makes a great point. And you hit the nail on the head here too. 10U tourney classic is coach yelling at players hey we are not ready to hit. Come on, swing the bat. Players at this age haven't developed the timing, and hitting from 35 against the girl who grew early is very difficult. So they start their swing earlier and inevitably will chase some bad pitches. And then that coach is yelling at them what the heck are you doing swinging at pitches like that.

Tewks talks about process but most coaches are terrible at coaching hitters and allow for a "process" to succeed in 1 to 2 pitches.

And yes you need to tell them to think swing swing swing, and encourage aggressive swings. But more importantly teach them how to say "swing swing swing" with their bodies. Last I checked telekinetic powers weren't overly effective in the batter's box.

Mar 31, 2016
First thing I did when my DD moved to live pitches 8yrs ago .. was to drill her in the thigh in the cage to show her it wasn't gona kill her ( which I created a monster cause she owns that box when she steps foot in it now) and let her swing at anything she thought she could hit.. as time went on we tightened the hitting zone.. build confidence all the time , you can break a girl down real quick with tone

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
At 10U DD was a "cage hitting phenom"...would knock the cover off the ball in BP, but struggled against live pitching. She would step out with her front foot. I solved the problem by agreeing to pay her $20 every time she was HBP. If I did not know any better I would swear she started leaning into pitches after that...then she would jog down to 1B and proudly tell me I owed her $$$ - I was the 1B coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24