How to hit faster pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DrPipes here at DFP once wrote "The 'get started early' advise is against every MLB or high level swing instruction I've ever been around."

Which caused me to comment that this MLB player claimed to have heard the advice a million times ....

Apr 7, 2015
With our young players....first we break down the swing into components

- coil forward
- coil forward as you rock the U
- coil forward hold your tip...rock the U

We practice these components over and over and over starting them separately and joining them together...

Then the timing becomes when do you start your coil forward. With a really fast pitcher we teach the girls to start before the ball is released. When the player gets in a park and rec situation she waits until the ball is in the air.

We have had very good success this season going from pitchers throwing under 30 mph to pitchers over 45 mph. Girls are awesome learners and use that learning power to your advantage...if you say swing sooner she probable doesn't get it...if you say start your coil forward before the pitcher releases the ball the visual cue is much greater.

Sep 17, 2009
"starting early" by using forward by coil to create a "timing window" with no pause in the swing that let's them adjust to pitches and identify the changeup and still be on time with the fastball -- good.

"starting early" by putting front foot down early and loading hands, then pausing, and then needing to figure out how to get the body moving again --- bad

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
faster bat speed = faster hands ....... if they can't do that try a lighter bat

A lighter bat is a poor band-aid to fix a long/slow swing pattern. Building swing mechanics that create suddenness and adjustability should be the goal. Fast hands/bat will be a result of good mechanics.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Probably thinking of Jose Bautista who credits the change in his load to slow and early to being a player who was DFA'd by two different organizations to a player who his perenially near the top of the AL leader boar in HRs.

edit - hmm, probably should have read through the whole tread before positing my comment LOL

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I was at a single A baseball game last week and watched two players working in the cage. They were doing a rapid fire soft toss drill. They would take 6 or 7 balls and feed them as fast as they could. They worked very fast. It was pretty amazing. Obviously not a good drill for developing a swing but it looked like an excellent drill for developing bat/hand speed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
instead .. faster bat speed = faster hands .... if that dosen't work i would see how they would do if u pitch a bucket of ball using a heavier bat then let them get there normal bat and see how they do

Okay, but HOW are you going to make the hands go faster in a young hitter? Just saying "faster hands" isn't enough.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan