How to handle the know everything coach???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The downside of the "smile and nod" is that some people actually have knowledge which is helpful. So, you have to teach your DD how to evaluate whether the person giving the advice actually knows something...which is, of course, an important life lesson in itself.
If the coach has a DD on the team and she is a good hitter,pitcher,fielder ect...then you might want to give that coach a listen. If their DD is not a good hitter,fielder,pitcher, fielder, ect...then 'smile & nod'.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Smile & Nod. So a DD should use the same tactic with coaches as they do with their parents, teachers, and most every other adult or older sibling. I would think that should be fairly easy for them. :)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Smile & Nod. So a DD should use the same tactic with coaches as they do with their parents, teachers, and most every other adult or older sibling. I would think that should be fairly easy for them. :)

Kids today wouldn't/couldn't even do 'smile & nod'. They would probably text their response.:rolleyes:

Jan 24, 2011
Kids today wouldn't/couldn't even do 'smile & nod'. They would probably text their response.:rolleyes:

Actually , the just bitch and moan to mom and dad who go and post a rant about coaches on an internet discussion board , then they either go to another team or start their own

May 8, 2013
California
If I was an assistant coach and I saw my DD taking 100 swings at a station, I would just call her over or go tell her to move on.

I went to the bathroom!!! Sorry, had coffee and things happen. When I left she was walking to the net, when I came back she was still there! So when I did return I stopped it.

May 8, 2013
California
Actually , the just bitch and moan to mom and dad who go and post a rant about coaches on an internet discussion board , then they either go to another team or start their own

So the DD is bitching and moaning to Mom and Dad?? Is that what happened? Just curious Cyclone, as you where there and know EVERYTHING! Thanks for your very useful reply. Why even waste your time?

Jan 24, 2011
So the DD is bitching and moaning to Mom and Dad?? Is that what happened? Just curious Cyclone, as you where there and know EVERYTHING! Thanks for your very useful reply. Why even waste your time?

Never mentioned your DD , responded to the post by rdbass.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Mr Helicopter parent? Nice edit, I do love the guy who has posted 1000 times and then decides to police what should or should not be posted. Hypocrite much?

I did edit it. Should have just let it be. You seem a bit touchy here. Like I said , I responded to a post from another user. I don't police anything. Just have my opinion like any other

Jul 2, 2013
There really is nothing wrong with taking 100 swings. I would expect that for every practice.

So the DD has the coaches interest.

As a parent, it is up to you to have a discussion with both the hitting instructor, and the coach in question. It is not about a parent knowing everything. It is about all 3 (2 coaches and DD) getting on the same page.

Ask each coach what they are trying to accomplish. Take it one step at a time. Bounce the process of each "instructor" off of one another.

If each would just "slow their roll". Engage in a teamwork discussion. You really have the best of both worlds. At 9 years old, the player will pick up tidbits from a bunch of coaches (instructors). As a parent ENGAGE with both coaches. Be polite. Ask them to slow down and try to do one thing at a time.

DON'T call either a "know it all" is a good place to start. Maybe this coach does know a bunch. It is the parents job to coordinate this without coming off as a helicopter parent. Trust me, with tact, it can be done and as a parent is your most important role.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves