How to evaluate a TB organization for helping with college placement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hey all, I am going to jump in and help my HS team with recruitment. None of the TB teams seem to have a clue or want these players to pay for one of those expensive websites. I sat down tonight and made a "list" of random thoughts. I know that some might be rambling. However, any suggestions would be appreciated. I am putting this here instead of starting a new thread since I hope it might fit into this thread. I know I am missing something real simple.

I think you should start a new thread with this post. A lot of great information and it needs to pop up in the search engine for people starting the recruiting process.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Here is my short list to contribute to the discussion.
1) The three most important things are Grades, Grades, and Grades. Academic scholarships >>> Athletic scholarships
2) A skills video, a computer and some time and effort are all you need for recruiting.
3) Have a list of 20 schools - 5 dream schools, 10 realistic choices, 5 fall back plans, and keep them updated on your activities.
4) Find a way to stand out in the crowd. We used postcards with DD's picture on the front.
5) Attend the camps of as many of the schools in your top 20 as time and finances allow.

Sep 18, 2011
How are Justus Perry's options remote? She could have played for just about any team in the country and chose the Bolts.

She hardly had any options. Her 14U MN travel ball team only finished 4th at ASA/USA. The following year, her 16U MN team only finished third at PGF Premier. Clearly the Bolts were her only option.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
1) The three most important things are Grades, Grades, and Grades. Academic scholarships >>> Athletic scholarships

At one school that DD is looking at, the difference between a 3.8 and 3.1 high school GPA is $12,000 per year in academic aid. I'd think that school (and probably many others) cannot recruit out-of-state players unless they have at least a 3.5, or rich parents where money is no factor. And likewise, it seems that if you're not a good student and money is an issue, then you'll probably be limited to in-state public schools. That is, unless you are really, really good and can get nearly a full ride.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'd include in the list what college softball entails, the lifestyle, the commitment, the challenges. You can't make a good decision about whether you want to play college sports until you know what it really is.

I am going to make a handout for the players as well. I have the above on it. The list I provided was for parents.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She hardly had any options. Her 14U MN travel ball team only finished 4th at ASA/USA. The following year, her 16U MN team only finished third at PGF Premier. Clearly the Bolts were her only option.

Another great example of our need for a sarcasm font....who is working on that???

Mar 26, 2013
The lion's share of Auburn recruits playing for the Bolts are from AL and their other options for a national-level team are somewhat remote. Perry is the only player besides Chardonnay Harris from outside the Bolts region and her options are also remote.
How are Justus Perry's options remote? She could have played for just about any team in the country and chose the Bolts.
Remote as in not local.

National-level teams compete at 6-8 elite events around the country a year. Please name a MN 18U team with a schedule like that and with major sponsorship. The closest I know about is Beverly Bandits.

Sep 18, 2011
Please name a MN 18U team with a schedule like that and with major sponsorship. The closest I know about is Beverly Bandits.

A few with that type of schedule, but none with sponsorship. Not quite sure what is so vital about the latter.

Mar 26, 2013
A few with that type of schedule, but none with sponsorship. Not quite sure what is so vital about the latter.
Non-responsive - name a MN 18U team that plays a schedule that puts them on the prime fields against the top-10 18U teams in the country with regularity like the Bandits, Bolts, et al. That type of schedule is very expensive, so the top players are drawn to teams with financial support.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
National-level teams compete at 6-8 elite events around the country a year. Please name a MN 18U team with a schedule like that and with major sponsorship. The closest I know about is Beverly Bandits.

How does the NCAA view major sponsorship of travel ball teams? Just curious since some college coaches are now directing their players towards teams with major sponsors. As softball grows in popularity what is to prevent a well healed booster from starting a TB team with 100% sponsorship and other player perks?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros