How to evaluate a TB organization for helping with college placement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
A lot of college coaches want their recruits to play at the highest level possible before they get to college in order to prepare them to play as freshmen. Now imagine a college booster with deep pockets and a love for their Alma mater and a sport like softball. And suppose that booster starts a TB program and the booster provides a lot of "assistance" to the players on his team - no team fees, free equipment, no travel costs, summer "boot camp" training, ect....I am not saying all of that is happening now, but there are already a lot of organizations who subsidize their 18U gold teams with money from their younger teams. Where does the NCAA draw the line???

Good points. Can of worms there.

Mar 26, 2013
Check out the B'ham Thunderbolts Roster and the location of their players and who they are committed to. As a sidebar Flosoftball has done a blog series with Justice Perry, who is from MN and used to play with 29Dads DD. She is listed as being from Auburn, AL on the Thunderbolts website, but check out her latest blog entry. She also did one about her experience with the Thunderbolts summer boot camp, but I cannot find the link. Several of the out of town players stayed in a house that was provided by the Thunderbolts along with a "team mom".

Justus

Thunderbolts 2015/2016 Roster
I see 6 of the 20 are committed to Auburn and the others to 13 different schools. The 5 2016s are part of a class of 8 where the other 3 played on various high-level teams. This is an increase over last year when 4 of the 9 2015s played for the Bolts and the other 5 played for other teams.

The lion's share of Auburn recruits playing for the Bolts are from AL and their other options for a national-level team are somewhat remote. Perry is the only player besides Chardonnay Harris from outside the Bolts region and her options are also remote.

I did find the 4 from AZ interesting - especially since 3 are committed to western schools and the other IN.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I see 6 of the 20 are committed to Auburn and the others to 13 different schools. The 5 2016s are part of a class of 8 where the other 3 played on various high-level teams. This is an increase over last year when 4 of the 9 2015s played for the Bolts and the other 5 played for other teams.

The lion's share of Auburn recruits playing for the Bolts are from AL and their other options for a national-level team are somewhat remote. Perry is the only player from outside the Bolts region and her options are also remote.

I did find the 4 from AZ interesting - especially since 3 are committed to western schools and the other IN.

What about Chardonnay Harris from IL? She is a 2017, and was at one time listed with the Beverly Bandits.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Back on the subject of 'feeder' teams, I just talked w/ a dad whose DD just committed major D-I. He said that the college coach will be making the decision of what travel ball team she plays on in spring/summer. The coach will expect her to play on a certain team, and the coach will help place her there.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Back on the subject of 'feeder' teams, I just talked w/ a dad whose DD just committed major D-I. He said that the college coach will be making the decision of what travel ball team she plays on in spring/summer. The coach will expect her to play on a certain team, and the coach will help place her there.

This probably happens more than we realize, especially if the player is from an area lacking in local competition.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hey all, I am going to jump in and help my HS team with recruitment. None of the TB teams seem to have a clue or want these players to pay for one of those expensive websites. I sat down tonight and made a "list" of random thoughts. I know that some might be rambling. However, any suggestions would be appreciated. I am putting this here instead of starting a new thread since I hope it might fit into this thread. I know I am missing something real simple.

My random thoughts:

A few suggestions:
1. Make sure that this is HER dream and not YOURS. You might need a dose of sober reality here. Collegiate ball and the right fit are a matter of perspective and you have to be honest with your child as well as with yourself.
2. Don’t let someone who makes dollars off of your child’s participation be the only source you have for an honest opinion on just how good your daughter is.
3. Set realistic goals for your child. Don't put her in a situation where she is destined to fail or where success is a guarantee. Every athlete has to find suitable competition that will enable them to show their skills but where they are also challenged. Yes, fun should be a part of that experience
4. The instant your daughter started playing the game, an imaginary clock started on her college recruitment. Most softball scholarships are “taken” by the time your daughter is a junior and so, it is important to have a plan that includes showcases, college camps, and playing on teams that get your daughter in front of college coaches. You have to be wise about how you spend your money. Often players get tricked into attending showcases etc. where perhaps two or three college coaches show up. Sometimes they are there simply for a cut of the money and they often leave without talking to anyone.
5. Your plan has to include finding others that have been through the recruitment process. That network you develop just might be the single most important thing you can do to enable you to spend your money wisely.
6. Do your homework. Know what is needed and be well educated in the process. You will need to invest time each week if not each day if you want to be knowledgeable about what is best for your child. Personally speaking, I took control of my child’s recruitment. If you wait on others, you might find your daughter sitting there at the National Letter of Intent Signing Day without any offers.
7. You have to be a coach to your daughter off of the field in recruitment. College coaches want to hear from your daughter and not you. That is not to say that you can’t make a contact here and there. Still, your daughter should be the primary contact. If a team shows interest, pursue it. Don’t count anyone out. Known FACTS will stand out about a program. For instance, check out the number of seniors that will graduate the year before your daughter’s freshman year. Look at the team’s website and check the link for prior year teams. See just how many freshmen and sophomores drop off of the roster each year. How long has the coach been at a school and how often does the school change coaches?
8. "Buyer beware!" Before sending your daughter to a college camp, ask what coaches are working the camp and if the head coach will be at the camp. Is the camp an invitee only or is it open to the public.
9. Know the NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II and NAIA, recruiting rules. BEWARE, there are "vermin" amongst the crowd of folks watching your daughter play who might approach you either in person or via your email trying to sell you their recruiting services. Often, they could care less what happens to you or your child.
10. If you get started early, you will settle into the recruiting game. Make no mistake, it is a game and it has rules. Things like applying at the NCAA Clearing House have to be done so that your daughter has a “number” in the system and you can then fill out needed information as you progress. This is a marathon and not a sprint and so, if you take the time to do this correctly, you’ll be fine.
11. Please be sure to know what your daughter wants down the road. A wise old coach once said to me, pick the education and not the team. That is what we did with my daughter. At the time, we received considerable criticism. We had the last laugh. Knowing what your child wants in an education will determine her life. Softball will eventually end.
12. A poor decision with regards to what college your daughter attends can be a mistake that could last a life time. You need to assess what you can afford and not just financially per tuition. Travel matters.
13. Finally, there is a lot more money out there for academic scholarships than athletic scholarships. You have to make sure your daughter understands this. Class rank, GPA and ACT all are significant factors in what monies your daughter will qualify for and, to be honest, how a coach views their ability to recruit your daughter.

Nov 18, 2013

The lion's share of Auburn recruits playing for the Bolts are from AL and their other options for a national-level team are somewhat remote. Perry is the only player from outside the Bolts region and her options are also remote.

How are Justus Perry's options remote? She could have played for just about any team in the country and chose the Bolts.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hey all, I am going to jump in and help my HS team with recruitment. None of the TB teams seem to have a clue or want these players to pay for one of those expensive websites. I sat down tonight and made a "list" of random thoughts. I know that some might be rambling. However, any suggestions would be appreciated. I am putting this here instead of starting a new thread since I hope it might fit into this thread. I know I am missing something real simple.

My random thoughts:

A few suggestions:
1. Make sure that this is HER dream and not YOURS. You might need a dose of sober reality here. Collegiate ball and the right fit are a matter of perspective and you have to be honest with your child as well as with yourself.
2. Don’t let someone who makes dollars off of your child’s participation be the only source you have for an honest opinion on just how good your daughter is.
3. Set realistic goals for your child. Don't put her in a situation where she is destined to fail or where success is a guarantee. Every athlete has to find suitable competition that will enable them to show their skills but where they are also challenged. Yes, fun should be a part of that experience
4. The instant your daughter started playing the game, an imaginary clock started on her college recruitment. Most softball scholarships are “taken” by the time your daughter is a junior and so, it is important to have a plan that includes showcases, college camps, and playing on teams that get your daughter in front of college coaches. You have to be wise about how you spend your money. Often players get tricked into attending showcases etc. where perhaps two or three college coaches show up. Sometimes they are there simply for a cut of the money and they often leave without talking to anyone.
5. Your plan has to include finding others that have been through the recruitment process. That network you develop just might be the single most important thing you can do to enable you to spend your money wisely.
6. Do your homework. Know what is needed and be well educated in the process. You will need to invest time each week if not each day if you want to be knowledgeable about what is best for your child. Personally speaking, I took control of my child’s recruitment. If you wait on others, you might find your daughter sitting there at the National Letter of Intent Signing Day without any offers.
7. You have to be a coach to your daughter off of the field in recruitment. College coaches want to hear from your daughter and not you. That is not to say that you can’t make a contact here and there. Still, your daughter should be the primary contact. If a team shows interest, pursue it. Don’t count anyone out. Known FACTS will stand out about a program. For instance, check out the number of seniors that will graduate the year before your daughter’s freshman year. Look at the team’s website and check the link for prior year teams. See just how many freshmen and sophomores drop off of the roster each year. How long has the coach been at a school and how often does the school change coaches?
8. "Buyer beware!" Before sending your daughter to a college camp, ask what coaches are working the camp and if the head coach will be at the camp. Is the camp an invitee only or is it open to the public.
9. Know the NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II and NAIA, recruiting rules. BEWARE, there are "vermin" amongst the crowd of folks watching your daughter play who might approach you either in person or via your email trying to sell you their recruiting services. Often, they could care less what happens to you or your child.
10. If you get started early, you will settle into the recruiting game. Make no mistake, it is a game and it has rules. Things like applying at the NCAA Clearing House have to be done so that your daughter has a “number” in the system and you can then fill out needed information as you progress. This is a marathon and not a sprint and so, if you take the time to do this correctly, you’ll be fine.
11. Please be sure to know what your daughter wants down the road. A wise old coach once said to me, pick the education and not the team. That is what we did with my daughter. At the time, we received considerable criticism. We had the last laugh. Knowing what your child wants in an education will determine her life. Softball will eventually end.
12. A poor decision with regards to what college your daughter attends can be a mistake that could last a life time. You need to assess what you can afford and not just financially per tuition. Travel matters.
13. Finally, there is a lot more money out there for academic scholarships than athletic scholarships. You have to make sure your daughter understands this. Class rank, GPA and ACT all are significant factors in what monies your daughter will qualify for and, to be honest, how a coach views their ability to recruit your daughter.

This was our priority. In our case, it meant strong academic D3 schools and looking at the school first, softball second. Never worried about recruiting services, verbals/NLIs/SB scholarships, never registered w/ NCAA clearinghouse (although would have if DD had Ivy academic quals). Did our own homework, visited schools, contacted and met coaches (injuries curtailed skills video and limited camps/showcase looks). Applied ED to her dream school, which was a recognized (and subsequently confirmed) reach, and waited like most HS seniors until April to make the best choice from several very good academic/softball/financial aid options. DD's a senior now - wouldn't change a thing.

Summary:
1. Don't dismiss D3, which has more schools than either D1 and D2.
2. College should be about more than just softball IMO.
3. YMMV is the rule, not the exception!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Greenmonsters, great point about D-IIIs and I have a not on the bottom of this page I'm working on that says in 24 font that I am forgetting something important. Thanks, I wanted to put D-IIIs as a different bullet point and talk about the differences. THANKS!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd include in the list what college softball entails, the lifestyle, the commitment, the challenges. You can't make a good decision about whether you want to play college sports until you know what it really is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck