How to evaluate a non-catcher catching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Now THERE'S an idea! We might be inside though, so maybe we set up an obstacle course and whoever just runs through them..?

Point A to Point B, with random folding chairs and traffic cones between the two points. Look for the girls who run the straightest line. ;)

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Take all the girls out to an area where there are some small trees and bushes. Have them run through that area to get to a clearing on the other side. The ones who run over the small trees and bushes are your catchers. :)

That's funny. I was going to say line them all up at home and tell them to run to the outside of the center field wall. The ones who run through the wall instead of around are your catchers.

If you can get word out to registrants in time you may want to consider having anyone who wants to catch show up a half hour early to some basic blocking/receiving, that will give you an idea of who really wants to be a catcher and not just play position when its their turn. That would be my #1 criteria, do they want to catch.

Once they are all there keep an eye out for any girls who are confident and loud and tap them to try out as catchers. Usually traits catchers are going to have. With all 150 there, you can take groups and have them in line to do 2 stations simultaneously. First station - receiving, catch 3-4 strike "ish" pitches from coach 1. Then slide down to second station for blocking (or at least stopping) 2-3 pitches in dirt & 2-3 over head. You'd need 2 coaches at each station to throw and evaluate, but can get 30+ groups through that relatively quickly and would not need to gear up.

I would not waste any time at all on evaluating throwing to second. You should be able to roughly gauge arm strength and accuracy in other drills. If your pitchers are not fast and pretty wild, throw down ability is moot. Runners are going to steal on the pitchers not catchers. Being able to block and catching a third strike is much more critical in my opinion given this scenario.

Once you have catchers assigned to teams you may want to consider holding a short camp before season starts to teach them (and probably some of their coaches) some basic blocking and receiving skills.

Nov 17, 2010
Simple. The ones that show up with the sloppiest, dirtiest clothes - preferably with holes in the knees of their pants - are your catchers.

Or you could put all of the girls are downwind when you drag the infield. The ones who don't turn around or run out of the dust cloud - are your catchers.

Sep 9, 2015
I think repetition at the catcher position is really important, even in rec league. Just a suggestion but I would ask the following: 1. Have you ever caught? 2. Are you wiling to catch? 3. Do you have any good buddies that are pitchers? (draft the pair) And if you happen to know that the parents are really supportive and willing to take their kid to extra practices or workouts for pitchers, that plays a big factor too. That also assumes the kid has overall average or better than average playing skills and athleticism.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Other tryout drills will let you know who can throw and catch. Your catchers have to come from that group. Ask that group to raise their hand if they want to play every inning of every game. Of those that raised their hand (which will be all of them), ask them to keep their hand raised if the only way they are going to play every inning of every game (true or not) means that they will have to do it as a dirty, sweaty catcher. The ones with the hands still up are your potential catcher beasts. The ones who drop their hands are your divas, oops, I meant pitchers and shortstops! Pretty simple and foolproof, it's how most of us initially got suckered into trying the position.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
"The ones who drop their hands are your divas, oops, I meant pitchers and shortstops!"

Lol made me chuckle. DD started catching at around 10-11 years old....don't remember now why, but I think she volunteered. She is into cheer and was in gymnastics, and can be pretty girly, but not once the gear goes on.

Dec 1, 2015
Southern IL
Another thing you may want to consider is having them get down in a squat, throw a ball past them to the backstop and look at the effort. Not sure how accurate the pitchers are but in our first year of travel ball we had alot of past balls. One of our catchers quit catching because she had to constantly go back to the backstop. You can tell if they want the ball or it is a chore to run back and get it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma