How soon is too soon to work out with weights?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Just so you don't get confused if you go looking for equipment. Ive lifted for too long, I think my friends redhotcoach and cannonball are off just a tad.

The 25lb barbell is actually a "curl" barbell, it's shorter than a regular barbell. It comes in two designs, one is straight and the other is curved at the handles to work different parts of the arm muscles by grip.

I've never seen a 40 or 50lb barbell, the only size that heavy should be the standard Olympic barbell for competitions and it's 45lb.

I've still got my Olympic set from when I was 15 years old. My wife uses it frequently, she says the barbell makes a great clothes hanger for items to dry. :)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Austin, no, I don't have but really appreciate the fact that you have this online. It is a valuable resource for all. We do much of the stuff you have there along with some variations. One for example is "the floor is hot." That was a fun way for us to have players do the plyo standing on top of the box, jump off the box and then back on. Starting at an early age, my child and others laughed and giggled doing it because they scream when their feet hit the floor. Still, it was a good start to some higher impact. Naturally, we limited the higher impact drills. I love the one where you have alternating feet/legs on the jump up. For some of us, we need to do that one now. LOL! The one drill you showed that was an alertative to what "cooks my grits" was the bucket drill. One of my pet peeves for BP in the cage is when players walk around picking up balls and/or tossing them at the bucket instead of placing them in the bucket. I should have been smart enough to create that drill myself but was not. I LOVE IT! I will be stealing that for sure.

Austin, a quick question. Do you use the PVC pipe in your intro to weight training? For developing technique, I think it is very good. The progression from PVC pipe, to PVC pipe with sand in it, the 25 lbs bar was very important imo. Just wondering who else does that.

While we are at it, I love band work, the intro to plyometrics such as what Austin demonstrates on his site, some dynamic stretches and ball work. My child grew up doing all of that. She is kind of strong.

GoingDeep, you're right on the 45 lbs barbell. I messed up. Our 25 lbs is a straight bar.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
GoingDeep, you're right on the 45 lbs barbell. I messed up. Our 25 lbs is a straight bar.

Well don't start counting all the times I mess up on here, you won't have time for anything else. :)

Little trivia for the forum, when I joined here 2+ years ago Cannonball was the first member to send me a private message. He was nicely correcting me about something I had posted ( I can't remember what ) and we had a few good PM's back and forth. He also sent me his DD's "skills" video for college recruiting, which was a great video and tool for my DD. I have no idea why that popped in my head today, must be the heat!!

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
... and GOINGDEEP was kind enough not to laugh outloud at all of the other nonsense I sent to him.

Last day for extreme heat for us. Only 105 now at 8 and cooling off. Heat index is only 111. Wife called while working with the horses. She is melting. So, yes probably the heat! :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
CB, I can remember a friend recommended this forum, coming from a successful baseball background I thought I could educate these "mere mortals" on here. Haha, well I was a noob and I was the one who got educated from the wiser members here. I have really enjoyed joining, and have had to humble myself a few times as many have steered me in the right direction for the difference in FP and BB.

As I agree and dis-agree with some, I've learned it's not a wrong or right, it's a preference of area and coaching philosophy that divides and connects us. Even though some may "tell" us what we don't want to hear, its information. You take that data, research it and apply according to you and your DD's needs.

I just want to encourage all to post freely, as we were all new on here at one time. If we didn't LOVE our kids we wouldnt even bother to be here.