How soon is too soon to work out with weights?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
My daughter is just barely 12...5'7, 125 pounds. Tall, long-limbed, very strong. She is a right-handed pitcher, and bats left handed. That's what her dad did, so she copied :).

I've noticed, and so has she, that her right quadricep muscle is more defined than the left. Not a huge difference, but you can tell when she flexes both. Her right arm doesn't appear to be bigger, but no doubt it is much stronger than her left.

Any thoughts as to what exercises we can do to even this out? Is it too soon for weights for her? The age seems too young, but her body may be ready.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is great that you caught this imbalance early in her. Are you ever in Tucson? I can show you the exercises easier than describing them.

May 18, 2012
Arizona
No, rarely get down that way. Too many Wildcats :). Thank you for your offer. I'm sure I can do more research on it, but thought I'd try this forum first. Her pitching coach will have some ideas too I'm sure. Thanks again.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I was always much stronger in my left arm than right, even though I'm right handed. I actually won a few state arm wrestling events in my later teen and college years. My left forearm was bigger, not like a freak or anything but it was noticeably bigger.

My 2 cents are barbell exercises. The key is the barbell exercises are balance exercises. It requires both sides to handle the load. Machine weights do not, you can actually lay down and move them with one arm even if they are "designed" for two. Dumbells can be used but you need the same weight for each arm along with the same reps.

I started working out mid to heavy routines at 12-13, but I'm a male. I'd "assume" girls could start the same because of the earlier growth spurt. I could be wrong.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. I just use exercise bands. She won't have to do a whole lot. I am certain you can find it on You Tube. I also use a site called JaegerSports.com.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Dds do strength, speed, and agility classes. I am still at work when they have class, but they do a lot of explosive exercises. What weights they do are like the 50 lb empty barbell and do one leg lunges and squats. Look up crossfit kids, they have a lot of their exercises described there and that is pretty much what my girls do. The biggest thing that is helping them is their class coach. He is a semi pro receiver, he busts their rears, works them crazy, and still makes them laugh. Those 2 nights a week my girls are hurting, walking up the stairs comes with a struggle, BUT they are absolutely pumped, proud, and happiest they have been in long time on each of those nights.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Hey everyone!

Below is an article I wrote regarding Youth Training that can be implemented for both Youth Softball and Youth Baseball Players. Females need to be trained differently than males based on hip and knee structure, but general strength exercises would be fine. Depending on their experience, will determine which exercises you implement and which exercises you stay away from! We have 7 and 8 year olds learning proper movement patterns, proper dynamic warm ups and body weight exercises which is all very important for coordination, balance, strength and joint stability. If you have any questions feel free to email me at austin@abathletics.com.

Thanks!

Resistance Training For Youth Athletes

A.B. Athletic Development, LLC

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sounds like she can definitely get training, but at 12 she doesn't necessarily have to "lift weights." There's a lot of great stuff you can do with your own body weight, and with bands and maybe a medicine ball.

I highly recommend getting evaluated in person by a trainer who is familiar with working with female athletes, preferably softball players. That will determine your daughter's natural strengths/weaknesses. Even if she ends up doing the workout on her own at home, one session with a trainer will help her put together a better, safer workout that is more personalized to her body.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd started at 12. As Amy said, she did band work to start but also did lifting. The focus we used in weight lifting was built around a professional trainer showing her the proper technique with PVC pipe and then PVC pipe filled with sand. From there, she did the 25 lbs barbell and finally progressed to the 40 lbs barbell later in age.

Austin, I have not read your article but look forward to reading it. Thanks for the link. Tell Tewks I said hey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01