How open should the shoulders get in pitching delivery ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like your consideration... and I believe the arm will take the path it is on. Which is why I do believe that you train so that it (the ball) can see the target... because this is biomechanically correct.... and creates the neuromuscular memory/strategies necessary to keep the arm in a position that is best for that athlete even when the torso is influencing it.

That probably reads poorly... ;)

How about this... if you trained abduction of the shoulder in drill... I believe the horizontal abduction that occurs because of the torso being ahead in a FULL pitch.. would make the movement hyper-abduction. Like 1 + 1 = 2. Transverse hyper-abduction is a bad thing... IMO.

Or how about this... train it neutral... so that the result is +1! Yeah, that's it! ;)

Regarding your 'natural loose path'... during the posting stage of pitching... the shoulder muscles... like the scap stabilizers are HIGHLY active, so I'm not sure that a full pitch really has 'loose' happening.... but I think I get what you are saying.

Good stuff.

So glad that I've figgerd out how to look up tha big werds on the internets. I 'bout wornd out my Websters on those IR threads...

Seriously, I either need to set up a Javasource PacNW Tour or you need to move out here... Same sentiments for John....... BoardMember, Pauly, Balswick, et alia...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In a full pitch, however... I am aware that many pitchers have a moment or phase where the ball is not visible... but I think that has more to do with the rotational necessity involved in a full pitch... and the fact that the EXTREMITY will lag behind the PROXIMAL structures, because that's just the 'nature' of things. To me, this is a result... not a 'trained move'.

I love this too!!! Javasource, Your insight never ceases to feed me!

And, forget a PacNW tour, it should be a Rocky Mountain states tour! Around here, home-runs end up in the tops of the snow-topped mountains, making watching them quite a sight indeed.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I would absolutely jump on that opportunity. I could actually extend that trip a bit... as my brother still lives out there, and it would be a blast to spend some time with him, too.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I would absolutely jump on that opportunity. I could actually extend that trip a bit... as my brother still lives out there, and it would be a blast to spend some time with him, too.

If you're talking to me (regarding where your brother lives), isn't your brother long overdue a visit from you?????

If you weren't talking to me, your brother needs to move to Utah!!! LOL!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sorry Doug... Pretty sure the bro iz in my neck-o-the-woods...

Gotta say though, SW Utah is a dream trip of mine...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Regarding your 'natural loose path'... during the posting stage of pitching... the shoulder muscles... like the scap stabilizers are HIGHLY active, so I'm not sure that a full pitch really has 'loose' happening.... but I think I get what you are saying.

Herein lies examples of:
-The Art vs The Science.
-What feels right and what actually happens.
-The cues vs. the reality...

Good stuff, indeed!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi