How Much Pull ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If the palm is facing down from 9:00 into release, it will be a pushing release, similar to a change up. If you want to pitch slowly....have the ball facing downward from 9:00 to release. This will negate all whip. AKA hello elbow!
My key verbal que is "knuckles face up while going up the circle, and knuckles face down when coming down the circle"....

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
the reason I am asking is because when DD starts her motion from 10 or 11 she has a habit of rotating her upper arm with what ever bend is in it at the time which somewhat puts her hand behind the ball so when she gets to contact her hand is already slightly in front of her elbow and it always causes her hand to be more under the ball and I know its not right I guess what I am trying to say is when starting from 10 or 11 by 9 her elbow is already starting to point behind her or completely behind her meaning I can see her elbow behind her back when I am catching her with her standing in an open position so I was wondering if she just is not pulling her upper arm down enough to help maintain elbow pointing to ground longer :) ???

she does not look like she is letting her arm fall into the natural arm locations but instead want to throw it to hard forcing a little pushing action as well

Hence the reason for quieting the shoulders and palm-up. It results in a position where the elbow is pointed at the ground, not behind her. Despite the poster that is praying for you... keeping the elbow oriented down significantly reduces the strain on the anterior capsule... namely the labrum. Once the triceps near proximity to her side, the humerus slows (and will rotate internally)... and with the ball lagging, the forearm accelerates.

Pulling the elbow down until 6 is only possible if it is lagging... which it (the elbow) should NOT.

I highly recommend you do what BM says in that link I posted. Reverse chaining the motion will help you see the positions of the arm in realtime. In addition, an overactive shoulder will force rotation of the upperarm prematurely... so both are items your DD should work on.

On a side note... it's amazing how OILF had 398 posts last week... and 384 today. Looks like even she has a hard time reading them...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
This is to OILF out of respect I will not get into childish Flame wars So please when regarding my post please be positive to the criteria that this forum is about. If I wanted to go to Bill Hillhouse site I would I have Both google and I know the web address anyhow. I would like to say this Bill says his he says he mechanics are just like cat ostermans but Cat shows the ball to the catchers and wears an armband on her pitching arm because she is one of the hardest brushers of all pitchers. that being said are they the same ???

sorry but tired of hearing the flame wars if you do not like the content on this site then please move on to another please

thank you :)

Nov 7, 2014
To Java and all the positive minded people on this site I greatly commend you for your time and Help ! I am Going to go over that post of BM's tonight.

THANK YOU

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi