How Much Pull ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug prolly has a Bownet so it won't take long for him to post back... Those things are slick!

Damn it! I just put another hole in the living room wall! Only this time it went all the way through to the bedroom. LOL

I must be pitching better myself.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Had a new box of new pitching balls that arrived today. I couldn't wait to use one, just like last time I ordered a box. Last time, I really did put a hole in my living room wall goofing around with the whippy feeling at release. Problem was, pitching into my glove didn't quite work that time.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Oh.... and, no, I don't have a Bownet. Can you believe that??! I'm surprised I still have a wife with the way I throw balls around the house.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I've used the same Eastons for several years and really need to pull the trigger. Still gotta get a new laptop so I can run kinovea. Darn priorities...

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
How much pull should there be in the upper arm coming down the backside say from 11 till brush or is it just the arm speed carries the arm around the rest of the way??

you can tell me if this is stupid question because it might be I am just not sure

It's not a stupid question...

Step through the entire process from 11 to 6 BACKWARDS (so, 6 to 11). See if that answers your question... or at least gets some conversation outside of Doug's balls going... ;)

If you need a primer on this... go here.

I'm surprised I still have a wife with the way I throw balls around the house.

I think this statement answers itself, Doug.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
the reason I am asking is because when DD starts her motion from 10 or 11 she has a habit of rotating her upper arm with what ever bend is in it at the time which somewhat puts her hand behind the ball so when she gets to contact her hand is already slightly in front of her elbow and it always causes her hand to be more under the ball and I know its not right I guess what I am trying to say is when starting from 10 or 11 by 9 her elbow is already starting to point behind her or completely behind her meaning I can see her elbow behind her back when I am catching her with her standing in an open position so I was wondering if she just is not pulling her upper arm down enough to help maintain elbow pointing to ground longer :) ???

she does not look like she is letting her arm fall into the natural arm locations but instead want to throw it to hard forcing a little pushing action as well

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2014
the reason I am asking is because when DD starts her motion from 10 or 11 she has a habit of rotating her upper arm with what ever bend is in it at the time which somewhat puts her hand behind the ball so when she gets to contact her hand is already slightly in front of her elbow and it always causes her hand to be more under the ball and I know its not right I guess what I am trying to say is when starting from 10 or 11 by 9 her elbow is already starting to point behind her or completely behind her meaning I can see her elbow behind her back when I am catching her with her standing in an open position so I was wondering if she just is not pulling her upper arm down enough to help maintain elbow pointing to ground longer :) ???

she does not look like she is letting her arm fall into the natural arm locations but instead want to throw it to hard forcing a little pushing action as well

Struggling with same issue. Drills seem to be good but once we start pitching motion are battling this same issue.

Aug 30, 2013
My DD seems to have the same issue. At 9 her hand rotates from palm up to palm down just for a flash and then it rotates back to palm up. We've been doing the drills that board member posted on fixing arm circle problems and she can do those but it seems to go back when she does full pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi