How Much Buy-In Does a Coach Need?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I rather be on this side and playing up. A friend of mine, their dd is a solid B+ player (had options of going to an A team); the current organization talked them into staying and joining a "solid B team". After 5 months and payments were made, coach decides the team won't play Nationals and will only play in non-sactioned tournaments. The kid is stuck on a non-competitve team, mom and dad already pd $1000 to play and those A teams were filled. That won't be a fun season!

I agree with this but the parents need to be honest with themselves concerning their daughter's ability. I have a friend that regretted this change. Two years ago his dd played on a B team. She was the number one pitcher and played shortstop when she wasn't pitching. She played nearly every inning in every tournament. Last year she went to an A team. She was the number four pitcher and subbed in right field once in a while. They went to nationals but she hardly played other than as a courtesy runner. She is back on a b team this year.

Nov 2, 2012
I think one thing that hasn't been discussed is $ and time. Level A to C is in many cases about $ and time spent. Much like DI to DIII, there i am sure players at D II and D III that could be playing D I! With that said the coach needs to be honest with the amount of money and time he is requiring no matter what the level. I would think C teams would have goals of playing in some lower level B tournaments. While good B teams might want to venture into some A tournaments. Remember it is just a letter you have to play the game on the field :)

Oct 10, 2013
My post the other day wasn't good. My point was coach told these parents they were going to play b level with some a tournaments. Now they r playing all-star rec tournaments in our area. That's bad for their organization and this girl.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom