How Much Buy-In Does a Coach Need?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
After the fall season, a coach decides to take his USSSA 12U "C" team up to "B". Doesn't consult with the parents, just makes the switch and announces it. The move itself makes some sense - the team was successful at C in the fall but didn't win any tournaments. The team will likely sacrifice wins for the experience of playing at a higher level.

Is the coach justified in making this move absent any discussion with the parents?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think that depends a lot on original team expectations and what parents were signing up for. If it was presented at the original meeting in the fall that spring the coach would register for the appropriate level of play in the spring after fall assessments then he's already covered it.

If it was presented as a lower key developmental C team that is now jumping in class coach may have some parents upset.

As for justified I guess coach will find out if he has numerous defections and or complaints from the team.

Jan 7, 2014
I think that depends a lot on original team expectations and what parents were signing up for. If it was presented at the original meeting in the fall that spring the coach would register for the appropriate level of play in the spring after fall assessments then he's already covered it.

If it was presented as a lower key developmental C team that is now jumping in class coach may have some parents upset.

As for justified I guess coach will find out if he has numerous defections and or complaints from the team.

The original contract never mentions the possibility of moving up - simply states that the team will be playing at C.

Jan 7, 2014
Why would anyone want to stay at C?

At the start of the season, the overwhelming majority of area teams were at C. At this point, it's still a majority. The distribution should be more even between A, B, and C...but it isn't.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Trophies would be the only reason to stay down... keep moving forward or before you know it your left behind!
The coach made the right move, but he probably should have let everyone know his intentions first.

I don't know if you can say this as a blanket statement. There could be a number of valid reason for staying at C v B.

If they aren't going to get their brains beat in at B and won't have substantial additional travel because there are "a lot more" local C teams as the OP states then yeah he probably did make the right move but went about it communicating it poorly.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I'm going to say that many beginning coaches don't feel that they are qualified to coach at a "higher" level and so stay within their comfort zone regardless of the developmental needs of the girls. Parents, you have got to encourage your coaches to reach!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
After the fall season, a coach decides to take his USSSA 12U "C" team up to "B". Doesn't consult with the parents, just makes the switch and announces it. The move itself makes some sense - the team was successful at C in the fall but didn't win any tournaments. The team will likely sacrifice wins for the experience of playing at a higher level.

Is the coach justified in making this move absent any discussion with the parents?

IMO it is important to keep parents informed. I wouldn't make the move without first explaining this to the parents. That said, I cannot fault the decision. I agree with the other posts that I would prefer to play better competition. I don't want our team to get hammered every game, but I do want to be challenged. But with the exception of the State tournament, I believe USSSA in our area will allow a C level team to play in a B level tournament. So you could essentially play up without changing your classification anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1