How Much Buy-In Does a Coach Need?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
In our area, there are certainly a number of good teams that intentionally register beneath their skill level to inflate their "winning pct". Part of the reason "B" is not really B and "C" is not really C. There is a team in our area from a "name" organization that has registered as an ASA B team and have played in (and dominated) USSSA C tournaments. Since these are not leagues, and essentially one-off games, it makes no sense to talk about won-loss record until you get to the highest levels of play. I just don't understand why a $3 trophy makes some coaches go nuts...

When I read some of your posts, I really wonder if we are from the same area! I've seen this as well. As a matter of fact, when I look at the USSSA registrations online, I am completely shocked at the "known" clubs that have registered as "C." It's truly disappointing because several of those teams a true "C" level team does not stand a chance against.

Nov 2, 2012
I have a new 14U team with only two girls who have played travel before. We have registered C, but have scheduled a mixture of B and C tournaments. I think what most of you are talking about speaks to the integrity of the coaches and organizations. Doesn't matter ASA or USSSA you run into head shakers on why is that team A, B, or C?????? My team is mainly 13's with 2-14's and a 12. As Forrrest would say, "Life is like a box of chocolates"..........

Oct 18, 2009
I don't think the classification matters if the team can compete. If they can compete at B they should be B. I don't think the parents really need to be asked for permission or for buy in. The parents should trust and support the coach and staff that they are doing what's best for the team and players. If the parents decide its not whats best for the kids its a free country and they can leave if they want.

One thing coaches should respect and consider is costing families a significant amount more money or travel than what was expected or promised. Then that needs to be addressed first.

May 25, 2010
There are C level parents on this site?

I'd want to know a team's intentions before signing my kid up. And I'd expect a coach to do their best to honor those stated intentions.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2012
How do you know the coach had a choice? Did he tell the team this? In some areas the state director will move C teams up based on his assessments of how they finished in the fall. Even if you didn't win a tournament that doesn't mean anything, they may look at who you beat, who you lost to, and might have moved several of those teams to B as well?
This could be about how the coach delivered the message? Maybe he was trying to be encouraging and telling the team that he feels they are ready so they will be playing B. Maybe he didn't want to take the negative view which would be to say, hey team, I'm not sure if we are ready for this but USSSA says we have to move to B, so I guess we are gonna go do that and get killed.

Just saying, there could be factors beyond the coach's control. But we don't have the info to tell you for sure.

Jan 7, 2014
How do you know the coach had a choice? Did he tell the team this? In some areas the state director will move C teams up based on his assessments of how they finished in the fall. Even if you didn't win a tournament that doesn't mean anything, they may look at who you beat, who you lost to, and might have moved several of those teams to B as well?
This could be about how the coach delivered the message? Maybe he was trying to be encouraging and telling the team that he feels they are ready so they will be playing B. Maybe he didn't want to take the negative view which would be to say, hey team, I'm not sure if we are ready for this but USSSA says we have to move to B, so I guess we are gonna go do that and get killed.

Just saying, there could be factors beyond the coach's control. But we don't have the info to tell you for sure.

Good points. There are several better teams in the area (based on head-to-head matchups and tournament results) that have remained at C. That, along with some second-hand knowledge of how the state director operates, leads me to believe that the coach was not told he had to move up. I'm pretty sure this was his decision alone....if not, then I agree with you - he handled it properly.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The only time a coach really knows whether he got buy in from the parents is at the end of the year when it is time for tryouts for the next season. If everyone wants to come back, then the team bought in to what he did. Unfortunately, too many parents are also under the mistaken impression that winning percentage and tournament wins is what makes a good coach.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I agree...but there are factors beyond the good points you make that may cause others to feel differently. For example, there is a certain level of commitment implied playing at C. The amount of work girls are doing outside of practice, the need/cost for private hitting lessons, the practice schedule, the tournament schedule....moving up to B will require a team to turn up the heat on all of these items. Some may be ready for that...others might rather spend their spare time playing other sports/activities. There are enough issues that the coach should solicit feedback even if he/she has no intention of changing his/her mind.

What you said

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I just did something similar with my team. In fact - maybe even more dramatic than going from C to B. I'm jumping from 10U to 12U. Before you throw me under the bus, let me explain :eek:

Now, I did put this out to the parents first in the tone of "unless you can convince me otherwise, this is what I think is best for the team's development." Plus, this is ONLY for a 10 game indoor league so it's not like we're committed to this for the next 6 months. Had we stayed at 10U, our competition was mostly 8U and 9U teams and frankly my girls have seen 1 decent pitcher in the past 6 weeks.

As a couple of other posters have noted - did the coach set goals & expectations at the beginning of the season? Before anyone signs a contract with me or hands me a nickel, we go over this stuff so there is no confusion once the season starts. I set the expectation of trying to play against the best competition possible at every venue we play. I value my parents input but ultimately, the final decision is mine with heavy input from my 2 assistant coaches.

If your voicing your concern here I would also voice your concern to the coach - not so much in terms of why did they move up but why was there no communication before a team decision like that was made?

My 2 cents

Oct 10, 2013
I rather be on this side and playing up. A friend of mine, their dd is a solid B+ player (had options of going to an A team); the current organization talked them into staying and joining a "solid B team". After 5 months and payments were made, coach decides the team won't play Nationals and will only play in non-sactioned tournaments. The kid is stuck on a non-competitve team, mom and dad already pd $1000 to play and those A teams were filled. That won't be a fun season!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafeli