how many touranments do you play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
We did the every other weekend a few years ago at 12u ball. At the end of the year our players were fresher and had time to recover from injuries in time for nationals. Looking back I don't think it was a bad thing. The best thing was there were times that I wasn't mowing my lawn in the dark.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
You guys are killing me! You'all must be in the south.

NE Ohio in the snowbelt. Thus the indoor Winter tourneys. Like you, we also start the Summer season at the end of MAY after HS ball is done. Our first tourney is the last weekend of May and we play every weekend through the end July. 9 in a row. Snow doesn't fly around here until December so we'll play Fall tourneys through the middle of October. By the end of October, we're usually in the 30's and below and we have to move indoors for practice/tourneys.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2012
Great, thanks for the replies so far. To be clear I am only talking about the Spring/Summer for DD's team. This past Fall she played 4 tournamnets with her current team. So for this year, fall 2013 to end of summer 2014 she will have played 12 tournaments. thats alot less than she is used to, me too. I'm am not crazy about the every other weekend thing but she has never played that type of schedule so you never know.

Thanks Again for all the replies.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
14u b-team. We have 8 tournaments scheduled between mid-may and early-august. We will probably do two or three more during the fall, but that will depend on how many girls are playing fall sports for their schools. Since most of our team is involved in other sports; basketball, field hockey, softball, track we only have a small window to do our tournaments. My DD will probably also play one or two tournaments as a pickup player before our team tournament schedule starts. She typically plays about 12 per year total, and this year should be close to that.

For now we have one indoor team practice per week with side practices for pitching and hitting. Once we get out of this ice box, we plan to practice two or three times per week outside with several scrimmages during April and early May.

Edit: Many of the A level teams in our area will play between 12-15 tournaments. But some of them have a larger window. One such team asked my daughter to come to a tryout this past fall, but they require that all players only play one sport; softball. When my daughter was faced with the decision of giving up basketball, she decided she didn't even want to go to that tryout. She wants to continue playing both sports for now.

Oct 10, 2011
This year after HS we are only doing 7 with 3 being long tournaments. A lot of the girls want the opportunity to go to showcase clinics, etc... to check out schools, so this will make it easier.

Jun 11, 2013
Our coach likes to play 2 weeks on 1 off as much as possible on 14U A.

Have 14 scheduled between now and end of June plus we played 3 friendly days in January and Feb.

First tournament is next weekend.

Sep 18, 2011
16U A team. Very compressed schedule as the season doesn't begin until the first weekend in June due to high school ball. The schedule hasn't been finalized, but my guess is that we will play 6 or 7 tournaments this summer with a fair amount of travel (Colorado, Atlanta, and hopefully Virginia).

Dec 18, 2009
Sidney Ohio
Ohio (West-Central) 14u (team I coach)
Mostly JH girls, but do have a couple of freshman, so we wont start until Memorial Day weekend. (HS regional timing for Ohio)
We'll play 9 tournaments in 10 weeks.

Younger DD plays 12u with fairly new Org in our hometown. Only 2 girls with TB experience...(could be rough yr...)
They will only play 5 tournaments total.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
All through HS in 16A and 18 Gold - Every weekend from Memorial day through Nationals in late July/early August, weather permitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell