How important are pop times for tryout purposes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Also to answer the OP - I would say its a factor but as long as its pretty good (as defined by the level of the team you are trying out for) it will probably not the biggest factor. I'd take a better overall catcher with a 0.1 slower pop time than a bad catcher with a great pop time, if one was a much better hitter that would be a more important factor for me. If the pop time difference was 0.4+ then that would factor in a bit more.

I have to assume that while they are taking this info prior to try-outs they will also want to see for themselves what the pop times are. On the form I'd be honest but lean toward her better numbers, in your situation I'd put 2.1 on the form.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Also to answer the OP - I would say its a factor but as long as its pretty good (as defined by the level of the team you are trying out for) it will probably not the biggest factor. I'd take a better overall catcher with a 0.1 slower pop time than a bad catcher with a great pop time, if one was a much better hitter that would be a more important factor for me. If the pop time difference was 0.4+ then that would factor in a bit more.

I have to assume that while they are taking this info prior to try-outs they will also want to see for themselves what the pop times are. On the form I'd be honest but lean toward her better numbers, in your situation I'd put 2.1 on the form.

Thanks for the advice. I actually looked back because DD did the Elite Select Futures tryout back in December, and her pop times then were 2.44, 2.47, and 2.31. Either the timing was different, or she's improved quite a bit since then. I would assume that she'll also get a lot stronger in the next year, as a lot of physical maturity happens between 12-14.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Some teams ask for and highly value pop times. Some of these teams know no other way to evaluate a catcher and don't understand/appreciate the value of receiving and blocking, which come into play much more frequently than throwing. Of course, if you receive and block well, there's no downside to a sub 1.8 game situation pop time!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Asking for pop times or pitching speeds is most useful in determining the players and parents propensity for BS. IME if the first words from a player, parent, or coach is about pop times, pitch speeds, number of pitches, or HS batting average I know that they are most likely wasting my time.

Aug 15, 2014
great post...totally true
Pop time already takes into account how quick your release is since it is timed "glove to glove." A player who takes slightly longer to release but throws harder might have the exact same pop time as a player who releases quicker but has a weaker throw.

Aug 15, 2014
this is a good point, that's why I noted my DD was timed at the USA Elite Select tryout, a reputable source with no bias, jenny gladding actually had the timer in her hand and I am sure she has done this a thousand times so I trust the numbers, all 3 of my DD throws were right around 1.9,
Not to throw a wrench in the thread but I have seen pop times vary wildly depending on who is working the stop watch. One coach times a girl with a pop time of 2.0 the next coach says 2.4.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Which pop time do they want? The one where the SS is straddling 2nd base of the one where the 6ft tall SS is catching the ball like she's at 1st base or the one where Dad is using the stopwatch??? Such disparity in these times. They should time the catchers in tryouts while watching girls steal 2nd.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not to throw a wrench in the thread but I have seen pop times vary wildly depending on who is working the stop watch. One coach times a girl with a pop time of 2.0 the next coach says 2.4.

this is a good point, that's why I noted my DD was timed at the USA Elite Select tryout, a reputable source with no bias, jenny gladding actually had the timer in her hand and I am sure she has done this a thousand times so I trust the numbers, all 3 of my DD throws were right around 1.9,

What this tells you is that Jenny Gladding timed your daughter at 1.9 seconds. Nothing more, nothing less. It may or may not be an accurate representation of her skill. The question is if she was slower or faster when compared to others at the tryout? The data collected is only useful when comparing others who were timed by Jenny Gladding, at the same place and at the same time. There are so many variables, and the room for error is so large that pop times are not terribly useful once you leave the field. And if she hands the stopwatch to someone else, all bets are off. It is kind of like measuring someones height with a 12" rubber band. Depending on the who and the how, the results may vary wildly. Unfortunately it is the only thing related to catching skill that people attempt to measure so that is what many hang their hat on and often give it undue credibility.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
What this tells you is that Jenny Gladding timed your daughter at 1.9 seconds. Nothing more, nothing less. It may or may not be an accurate representation of her skill. The question is if she was slower or faster when compared to others at the tryout? The data collected is only useful when comparing others who were timed by Jenny Gladding, at the same place and at the same time. There are so many variables, and the room for error is so large that pop times are not terribly useful once you leave the field. And if she hands the stopwatch to someone else, all bets are off. It is kind of like measuring someones height with a 12" rubber band. Depending on the who and the how, the results may vary wildly. Unfortunately it is the only thing related to catching skill that people attempt to measure so that is what many hang their hat on and often give it undue credibility.

Maybe this team is planning on making a "first cut" based on the stats people submit before their tryout. Which would be dumb, in my opinion, for all the reasons Riseball listed. But, who knows?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Maybe this team is planning on making a "first cut" based on the stats people submit before their tryout. Which would be dumb, in my opinion, for all the reasons Riseball listed. But, who knows?

Don't get me wrong your DD is most likely a strong catcher and the number is probably a fair representation of her skills. My problem with pop times is that I have seen some players claiming 1.6-1.7 pop times that could not throw out granny in a wheel chair. :)

I tell my Players to never, ever offer a pop time, pitch speed, or HS batting average to a college coach unless you are asked. Find another, more effective way to make you case. If you are asked give a range and do not dwell on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01